Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: "On Board" Battey Chargers

shadow
    I use a Statpower 40+:
    http://www.onlinemarine.com/online_s...40_charger.gif
    Cost about 3 hundy. I have an Optima starting battery and two of these for the stereo:
    http://www.trojan-battery.com/images...ages/j185h.jpg
    True 40 amp charger
    Same charger i'm using,Charges 2 8D AGM batteries over night.
    Multi stage plus you can add a temp sensor between the batteries and charger and the charger will automaticlly adjust the charge rate acorrding to discharge and heat.

GMFL
    http://www.promariner.com/images/Pro...ProSport12.jpg
    I went with this one. I was sold on the DualPro, but noticed this was about the same price (actually $20 cheaper) and still had dual isolated banks. This one, however, sends the majority of it's 12 amps to the bank that needs it most, then divides evenly once it is brought back up to the level of the other bank. Kinda nifty.
    I could be wrong here but isn't that how 'lectronic stuff works regardless?

phebus
    No, most two bank chargers are basically two seperate chargers in one housing, and share no charging ability with the other bank.

GMFL
    No, most two bank chargers are basically two seperate chargers in one housing, and share no charging ability with the other bank.
    OK, just thinking out loud here.
    If you have a charger that will split its charge to two different banks, then even it out once the charges are equal, wouldn't that just be one charger with two lines going to different banks?
    Aww, nevermind, who cares. I have the dual procharger though and it works great.

Sotally Tober
    OK, I'm right in the middle of trying to put batteries and an on board charger in my boat. I'm going to have 1 isolated for starting and 2-3 deep cycle for a 2500w stereo. I've been looking at the guest 2 bank system. I just do not know if 10-15 amps will recharge 2-3 deep cycle batteries overnight (10hrs) fully. Ive thought about the cascade/iota charger also. But I would have to put 2 of them in to get all the batteries done. Will the 10-15 amps be enough?

HYPNAUTIC
    Battery Tender is what I like to use. They have single battery applications as. This is just a pic of the 4 bank. www.batterytender.com (http://www.batterytender.com)
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...kson99/4gt.jpg

Beer-30
    OK, just thinking out loud here.
    If you have a charger that will split its charge to two different banks, then even it out once the charges are equal, wouldn't that just be one charger with two lines going to different banks?
    Aww, nevermind, who cares. I have the dual procharger though and it works great.
    It is a 12v, 12a dual bank charger. When plugged in, the processor senses which bank needs the most amperage. So, so bank 1 is almost fully charge and bank 2 has taken a hit. Maybe 10 or 11 amps out of the 12 will go to bank 2. Then, as they even out, each will get 6 until it goes into trickle/maintenance mode.
    When UNPLUGGED, the banks are separate.

rrrr
    True 40 amp charger
    Same charger i'm using,Charges 2 8D AGM batteries over night.
    Multi stage plus you can add a temp sensor between the batteries and charger and the charger will automaticlly adjust the charge rate acorrding to discharge and heat.
    I mounted the optional remote panel at the helm to see what's going on. It's a 4 conductor UTP with RJ-11 plugs, easy to install.
    It's a true 40 amp charger. Most 30 amp chargers are actually (3) 10 amp outputs, so your stereo batteries aren't charged properly. The charge rate ("C") must equal 20% of the discharge rate to maximize battery life.
    For example, if you drain 80 amps to shutdown voltage (1.67 volts per cell or 10 volts for a 12 volt battery) then a charge rate of 16 amps is required to properly restore the battery. Anything less will effect battery life.

Tom Brown
    The charge rate ("C") must equal 20% of the discharge rate to maximize battery life.
    I thought C was capacity in amp hours. :idea:
    Thus, if you want to charge a fully dead battery in two hours, you would use the rate of C/2. To charge a battery in 15 minutes you would use a 4C charge rate.
    Hey... you're the battery guy.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234