Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine tool questions

Jet City
    I've about had it with my wobbly old Craftman valve spring compressor, any advice on what to replace it with? Anybody using that Proform HD unit? Comp and Powerhouse both offer ones that look very similar to the Proform (more money), but I'm wondering if there is a difference in quality.
    Next item is valve spring tester, I've been looking at the Tavia 0-600 lbs mini tester (backordered), any input on other models or pound ratings would be great.

steelcomp
    I've about had it with my wobbly old Craftman valve spring compressor, any advice on what to replace it with? Anybody using that Proform HD unit? Comp and Powerhouse both offer ones that look very similar to the Proform (more money), but I'm wondering if there is a difference in quality.
    Next item is valve spring tester, I've been looking at the Tavia 0-600 lbs mini tester (backordered), any input on other models or pound ratings would be great.
    When I was doing heads, we always used a pneumatic compressor, but it had a little trouble with the killer springs. I still tough it out with the ol' manual over-center type, but I've been looking, as well. Can't help you there yet. AFA spring checkers, Rimac is still the only one I'll have. They make two that I'm aware of, and if you aren't using big roller springs, the smaller of the two will do great. Unless you're racing and killing springs on a regular basis, you're really only looking for installed pressures anyway, so you don't need the 1000# deal. I know some of the new hydraulic testers are compact and cool, but call me old school...I just feel more comfy with the analog. Besides, Rimac's been building spring testors for a LONG time, and have always been the best. I'm going to look more into spring compressors. Hopefully there's someone a little more up to date out there that can help. Fiat?? Info?? Anyone else?? :coffeycup

Jet City
    Thanks SC, I would LOVE to buy a Rimac, just hard to justify since I'm just a hobbiest builder, I've seen them as cheap as $650, they make the manual models in 3 flavors (pound ranges). I wondered if I really needed to check open pressure, since I'm mainly concerned with spring life.
    I believe the hydraulic spring compressors are rated for around 450lb springs while the Comp HD manual (#5333) is rated for 700lbs.

GofastRacer
    Well I was not blessed with the trick stuff so I had to rely on the simple shit!. I been using this one from Indestro since the early 80's and it still does the job just as it did then!.. For a mini tester I got one from Yother about the same time and it's still works great. I'm sure the one from Tavia is the same, they do have good stuff!..
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...Compressor.jpg

steelcomp
    Well I was not blessed with the trick stuff so I had to rely on the simple shit!. I been using this one from Indestro since the early 80's and it still does the job just as it did then!.. For a mini tester I got one from Yother about the same time and it's still works great. I'm sure the one from Tavia is the same, they do have good stuff!..
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...Compressor.jpg
    Yeah, that compressor's just like the one I got from Mac about 20 yrs ago. You're right...still works fine. I finally rewarded myself with a 1000# Rimac about 6 yrs ago, only to lose it and a few other choice items in a business theft. I think that was one of the things that hurt the most to lose.

Jet City
    GFR, that one you have looks sturdier than the Craftman I'm using, yes mine also gets the job done, but it's frustrating when the whole unit is twisted about 1/2" when your compressing stock springs, just tired of fighting it.
    As far as the Rimac deal, it was Powerhouse that has them for $650,. here's the link, they come in 125, 250, 350, 500 and 1000 lb.
    http://www.powerandperformancenews.c...de=VALVESPRING
    I'll be getting a Tavia when they're back in stock.
    Here is the Craftsman compressor I have.
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

GofastRacer
    Yeah, that compressor's just like the one I got from Mac about 20 yrs ago. You're right...still works fine. I finally rewarded myself with a 1000# Rimac about 6 yrs ago, only to lose it and a few other choice items in a business theft. I think that was one of the things that hurt the most to lose.
    If I remember right that is the exact same one that Mac had, only with the Mac name on it, can't beat it for a manual deal!.. The Rimac is a bitchin tool, that is a bummer to lose it!..

GofastRacer
    GFR, that one you have looks sturdier than the Craftman I'm using, yes mine also gets the job done, but it's frustrating when the whole unit is twisted about 1/2" when your compressing stock springs, just tired of fighting it.
    As far as the Rimac deal, it was Powerhouse that has them for $650,. here's the link, they come in 125, 250, 350, 500 and 1000 lb.
    http://www.powerandperformancenews.c...de=VALVESPRING
    I'll be getting a Tavia when they're back in stock.
    Here is the Craftsman compressor I have.
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
    That thing is a POS, a friend of mine had one and it went back the first time he used it, LOL, he ended up using mine it will handle anything you can put to it, can get hard on the hands though!. LOL..

blowngas
    I saw a "C" clamp type and saw that it would handle any and all types of springs from the heavy race setups to hydraulics----made my own by welding the threaded shaft and barrel from a large C-clamp to the top of a 'C' cut from 1/4 in plate---used a large heavy steel washer welded on the bottom with a piece of suare keystock rounded and welded to the washer to keep the tool on the retainer---not as fast as an air operated one, but works good and doesn't get the fingers

h2ojet001
    Bring a six pack to your local head repair shop and ask them to install the springs and set them up. It worked for me and a lot less expensive then spending $600 on a tool you are only going to possibly use once. Just my .02
    Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast