Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hole in the garage?

mister460
    Oh come on Jetmugg, how many strippers you can fit on a jetboat IS an engineering discussion. It deals with composite shear and tensile strength, as well as fatigue resistance and mass vs bouyancy issues! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif Seriously though, do you know anything about the funtion and design of the adjustable jet nozzles on aircraft? I'm trying to work up a practical design for jetboats.

Terrible Buddhist
    I am no engineer...but I will say the first design looked a lot more reliable over the long haul. I would love to see a picture of the slip in slip out method...not the strippers (althought those pictures would be nice too). What about taking the boat off the trailer for the winter?

jaqquuuz
    After taking this enigineering class I have come to the conclusion ( cut a hole in the door):}

gstark
    That is definitely the simplest and fastest solution to this problem.
    Rivercrazy, you are right about a couple of drips. Keep in mind that hydraulic QDs are used on many aircraft hyd. systems, so they are a tried and true item. The swing away design may be more convenient, but.....
    Terrible Buddhist, if I can figure out how to post photos, I can shoot a couple of digital pics of my former boat trailer.
    Otherwise, I can e-mail you the pics at the address in your profile.
    As far as taking the boat off the trailer, I live in So Cal, and the only time my boat was off its trailer, it was in the water.
    Mister460, as far as adjustable nozzles on current jet engines, I am not aware of any. Thrust vectoring is used for a number of reasons, it is what keeps the Harrier afloat, the new Lockheed Skunk Works X-35 used vectored thrust from its turbine, combined with a lift fan in the center fuselage to lift vertically and hover. It then transitions to a flight regime using the vectoring nozzle. It recently went from hover to mach 1 plus in one flight. This was on the national news so I am not revealing any info that I should not.
    Vectored thrust is analogous to use of a Place Diverter, as it is used to change the pitch of the hull. I will look in my publications for any info on adjustable nozzles.

RiverDave
    There was some guys discussing an adjustable nozzle for jet boats, just like jet airplanes. It made significant performace increases in Hole shot as well as top speed. The first prototypes were made my Dana Marine but they never made it to Market becuase they felt it would be to expensive. Talk to Ultra 28 about it he knows alot more about it then I do.
    RD

Timer
    I'll throw my .02 cents into this as I'm also a licensed structural engineer.
    I don't see a big problem with the setup pictured above if it's designed properly, although I feel more comfortable with the way mine was done.
    Competitive Trailer installed my swing-away tongue. Two plates were welded to a hinge. The trailer tongue tube was cut and the face of each plate was welded to each cut surface of the tube. Four bolts, one at each corner, close the plates face-to-face to give a tight friction connection. The bottom 2 bolts take the majority of the load in tension, as long as all the bolts are adequately tightened.

Timer
    OK, OK, so it should be "2 cents"

jimmmyb
    T-B
    my 2 sense worth.
    i don't know s--t about metal,
    but i would choose 1 of the two methods talked about. DO NOT CUT A HOLE IN YOUR GARAGE DOOR,this looks about as good as tire rims on front lawn as planter box's.
    my point being if you have a decent pad,
    hole in garage door = tacky,
    not to mention that dam mailman trying to fill your boat up with ed mcman junk mail.

wsuwrhr
    You can see how i lifted my boat off the trailer and placed it on a roller cart I made. My wife didn't liek the idea so I sent her to the store before I rigged it up, works every time. www.briansboatshop.com (http://www.briansboatshop.com)

wsuwrhr
    You can see how i lifted my boat off the trailer and placed it on a roller cart I made. My wife didn't like the idea so I sent her to the store before I rigged it up, works every time. www.briansboatshop.com (http://www.briansboatshop.com)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast