Thread: packing and tightening new bearings

wrenchdaddy
    I got new hubs so my cragar prostars will fit the trailer. I've never replaced bearings and all that before, how do I pack them with grease and what grease should I use? How tight do I tighten the spindle nut? Thanks

Ken F
    I got new hubs so my cragar prostars will fit the trailer. I've never replaced bearings and all that before, how do I pack them with grease and what grease should I use? How tight do I tighten the spindle nut? Thanks
    Hmmm....grab your new bearing by putting it on your index finger of your right hand, with the large end of the bearing facing away from you.
    Grab about a golf-ball size wad of bearing grease and slap it in your left palm.
    Now, take the bearing, and push it down onto the grease in your palm, trying to force the grease up into the bearing.When it starts squishing out the top, you have that section full. Turn the bearing and repeat until you have the entire circumfrance of the bearing packed full of grease, and it is oozing out the top above the rollers.
    Tighten them down with the wheel on. you will be able to feel some play in the bearings if you grab the wheel at top & bottom or both sides. You want just a little bit of slop...just barely noticable. it's way better to have one a little loose than too tight...they will burn up if too tight.
    Hope that makes sense...it'd be lots easier to show you!!! LOL
    Ken F

Beer-30
    Perfect expl. Ken!
    Like he said, just make sure you push down against the grease as many times as it takes to get the grease oozing out of the top. Probably three or four pushes into the palm/grease. The "large" side of the bearing towards the grease in your palm. The "small" side up/watching for grease ooze.
    In ASE school, I was taught to tighten the nut until it stops with a wrench. No pressure though. Spin wheel(s). Gently snug it again. Spin once more. This gets the bearings "seated". Then just back the nut off until you can get a cotter pin in. Should be perfect.

bigpapasean
    do your self a favor and by one of these
    http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/produ...3453&T1=109899
    you can find them at most auto part stores the hand methed works good but its so much faster and cleener with a packer

Here's a good Do It Yourself Link (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/bo_mai...277898,00.html)