Thread: TRS Outdrive - Good or Bad?

Lake Ape
    Hey,
    Can someone tell me what the Pros and Cons of the TRS outdrive are. My brother is looking at getting a '22 Campbell with one behind a 454. Is it a good outdrive? He's planning on picking the thing up this Monday if it checks out ok. I posted this in the outdrive tech forum but not many folks down there.
    Thanks,
    Lake Ape!

Quality Time
    Suggest you go to offshoreonly or speedwake and ask this question.

454SUPERBOATKID
    TRS is a good drive, handels lots of HP from 600-700HP. Used a transmission which makes you loose about 30HP. TRS parts are getting hard to find, just like the OMC king Cobra. Good luck with the boat if you get it.

DetroitJim
    TRS is strong as hell but requires a separate Borg Warner Velvet Drive or similar transmission. This means 150-200 lbs. extra weight and the motor farther forward, plus power loss. I'd say if the boat is rigged well and he likes it, go for it. Rest assured the drive will never ever break in a 21 footer. Some guys up this way swear by them for 100 mph 40 footers on the big water.

mike37
    TRS is strong as hell but requires a separate Borg Warner Velvet Drive or similar transmission. This means 150-200 lbs. extra weight and the motor farther forward, plus power loss. I'd say if the boat is rigged well and he likes it, go for it. Rest assured the drive will never ever break in a 21 footer. Some guys up this way swear by them for 100 mph 40 footers on the big water.
    my dad has A Velvet Drive in his old V drive ski boat he built back in
    1965 has a Cadillac V8 and glenwood Vdrive

jlnorthrup122
    The Trs drives are the oldshool race drives they used on the APBA cercuit back in the 80's they are a tough drive and not to bad for speed either! as for parts I read a tech article a while back that there is a company that is manufacturing aftermarket parts and trs drives nowa days check your old hot boat and powerboat rags from the last few months! I think I saw this in one of the first issues of this year!

spectras only
    The B/W C-72 tranny is bulletproof as long as there's oil in it . It's about 50 lbs .When the TRS goes south ,just replace it with a Konrad drive.My 1972 V-drive boat still has the original engine and tranny

bilgewiper
    I'v got the TR-II version of the TRS (same drive and trans with a longer leg to swing a larger diameter prop with a different gear ratio to move big heavy slow boats) on my houseboat. Virtually industructable with no shifting gears or water pump in the lower unit. Mine has been in the water for 29 years with haulouts every 3-5 years to remove algie growth and normal u-joint, bellows, and oil changes. Lower unit and trans has NEVER been opened up. Oh coarse it's only pushed by a 350 and never gets airborn jumping waves etc..........LOL!

454SUPERBOATKID
    I also have a MDS outdrive , this drive is the cousin of the TRS. Bullet shapped nose cone on the lower unit, but this drive uses a special propeller, looks like elephant ears. (( Someone told me it is possible to mount a speedmaster lower unit on a TRS, is this true? )) That maybe a great combo if so?? it could raise the X dim to where I need it?

Panic Button
    They are bullet proof. Alot of high end builders still installed them till the mid '90's. They will out-last a Bravo drive and can had alot more power than a Bravo, it all depends on your trans. The shifting into gear is smooth as glass, no "klunk" that you get in a Bravo. There are still parts available for them, if you really want to upgrade them, look at Konrad.