Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Questions

Cole Sanger
    I am about to look into this 460 Ford. It didn't come with a balancer. How do I know if it needs one, or which one to get? I have read a little about a counter weight. How do I know if I need one? I guess the first question I should ask is how do I know if it is internally/externally balanced? It does have a flexplate. This is the first of many questions I am going to have. Is there a site I can look at to see what I have? Mortec is for Chevy's. Is there a site for Fords? Also, it has an oil pan like no oil pan I have ever seen. It has a fitting on the front of the kick out and a fitting on the rear of the kick out. I will take pictures of it tomorrow and see if someone can let me know what to do with it. Thanks for the help.

Jet City
    Here's the best site around for learning about that 385 series Ford (below). They all used balancers, internal before '78, external after '78 if I remember right. I'll let someone else speak on identifying the late model stuff, I've never looked at them, I do know the cranks are stamped with identifying numbers. That pan sounds like possibly a Fox body pan.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220

Look for the crank numbers, any 2 series [2Y etc.] is an internally balanced 460 crank 1968 thru 1978. 3Y series is externally balanced 1979 and up. 4 series cranks are 429.

GofastRacer
    Look for the crank numbers, any 2 series [2Y etc.] is an internally balanced 460 crank 1968 thru 1978. 3Y series is externally balanced 1979 and up. 4 series cranks are 429.
    Bob, it's an FE!..
    http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/Mi...x/DSC00668.JPG

Damn Art....I thought he said 460...or maybe I'm having a senior moment? :idea: If its an FE then all engines except 410 and 428 are internally balanced. The 410/428 will have a counterweight on the flexplate/flywheel and only the 428SCJ will have the counterweighted spacer for the balancer to balance the LeMans type capscrew rods.

Squirtin Thunder
    I am about to look into this 460 Ford. It didn't come with a balancer. How do I know if it needs one, or which one to get? I have read a little about a counter weight. How do I know if I need one? I guess the first question I should ask is how do I know if it is internally/externally balanced? It does have a flexplate. This is the first of many questions I am going to have. Is there a site I can look at to see what I have? Mortec is for Chevy's. Is there a site for Fords? Also, it has an oil pan like no oil pan I have ever seen. It has a fitting on the front of the kick out and a fitting on the rear of the kick out. I will take pictures of it tomorrow and see if someone can let me know what to do with it. Thanks for the help.
    058 Damn Art....I thought he said 460...or maybe I'm having a senior moment? If its an FE then all engines except 410 and 428 are internally balanced. The 410/428 will have a counterweight on the flexplate/flywheel and only the 428SCJ will have the counterweighted spacer for the balancer to balance the LeMans type capscrew rods.
    That is what I see !!!

GofastRacer
    Damn Art....I thought he said 460...or maybe I'm having a senior moment? :idea: If its an FE then all engines except 410 and 428 are internally balanced. The 410/428 will have a counterweight on the flexplate/flywheel and only the 428SCJ will have the counterweighted spacer for the balancer to balance the LeMans type capscrew rods.
    LOL no senior moment, he did say "460"!. It could be possible that he has a 427 with a 428 crank in it, or he could have a 428?????... :wink:

Cole Sanger
    All great questions. I was told it was a 460. How can I tell what the hell it is? I just want to get this thing running so my buddy can drive it and hopefully take it out of my cramped garage.

GofastRacer
    Listen up!. It's an "FE", not a "385" series!..

Its an FE if the intake manifold is joined at the head under the valve cover. Displacement is 332-352-360-390-406-410-427-428, not including 361-389-391 which are just FEs that have that displacement for identification purposes to seperate truck engines from passenger car engines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast