Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stud Girdle questions

BIGCHRIS
    what do u think the main benefit to having one is also do they help keep valve adj better

what do u think the main benefit to having one is also do they help keep valve adj better
    Keeps studs from breaking/flexing/pulling as it ties them all together so they share the load through the girdle.

Squirtin Thunder
    Keeps studs from breaking/flexing/pulling as it ties them all together so they share the load through the girdle.
    As I said once before if they move slightly once it is OK !!! Once in the girdle they share the loads together like Mike says.

GofastRacer
    I think all aluminum heads should run a girdle to keep from pulling stud bosses with high spring pressures. Cast iron head wise...I've seen a lot of guys get away without one.
    I agree, I wouldn't run aluminum heads without one!.. On iron heads I don't see needing one unless you're running a monster cam and turning rpm's to the moon!.. I use one mainly for the fact I don't have to worry about running valves all the time, nothing is going to move!. Also since I'm in poverty and only have a flat tappet cam(a big one) it's a good way of keeping track of cam wear, since the adjusters can't move as long as the lash don't change I know the cam is still A ok!..

Jet City
    I guess I'll put them on and not sweat it. I knew about tighten the girdle as much as possible before valve adjustment, but never heard of not using the jam nuts, makes sense though. Thanks for the input

wsuwrhr
    I would think any side loads on the studs would be bad.
    That really sucks. Too bad my sorry ass Dodges use shaft mount setups.
    :boxed: :boxed: :boxed:
    Brian

Moneypitt
    The jam nuts are only there to prevent the actual adjusting nuts from moving. The idea of locking the adjusting nuts in place becomes moot if you lock them in place with a vise grip type gurdle...........If you want to run 5 miles, flat out, then any additional mechanical locking is a GOOD thing.......!/4 milers could care less, as by the time anything changes, its over............MP

GofastRacer
    I use the jam nuts(slightly) while running the valves only to make sure none of the others change as I go along, after the girdle is on it don't matter nothing is going to move!..

The Webster's were recomended by my motor builder. I am running chevy alum. heads. This is my first motor with solid roller lifters & a girdle. The first time I ran my valves, then set the girdles per the instructions(exactly as Art described). I then ran the valves again. I was surprised & a little upset to find a few had moved somewhere around a thou. or to. I called my buddy Paul to let him know of the problem I found. He told me to shut the hell up, put the valve covers back on & run the shit out of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12