Thread: BBC Fuel Pump Install

jtmarten
    Hi
    I'm having trouble with a mechanical fuel pump install on a 454. This is a conversion from a POS Holley electric setup. I have a new pump pushrod and pump, but am getting no fuel draw. If I actuate the pump manually it pulls plenty of fuel. Is there a pump spacer plate on a BBC like the SBC that I'm missing? I don't have alot of room to see or work down there, but is it possible for the pump arm to slide to the side of the pushrod during install?
    Thanks much!
    Jeff

Duane HTP
    Yes, it is possible. Also make sure you have a BBC fuel pump push rod. A SBC one will not work right. (too Short)

jtmarten
    Thanks for the info Duane! I checked partsamerica.com and they have the same part # listed for BBC and SBC. The guy there said the computer shows they are all the same :hammerhea . (Whatever happened to parts-counter guys knowing something about cars? ) I'll be returning this one tomorrow and going to NAPA for the right part.
    Anyone know the correct length for a BBC rod? The part I got is 5 3/4", I'm assuming the BBC would be around 6"?
    Thanks much!
    Jeff

Jeff, I just pulled a spare BBC fuel pump pushrod out of my tool box. Measures the same at 5 3/4". You might want to reinstall that pushrod(without the pump) and have someone rotate the engine a couple turns while you check how much travel it has.

jtmarten
    Jeff, I just pulled a spare BBC fuel pump pushrod out of my tool box. Measures the same at 5 3/4". You might want to reinstall that pushrod(without the pump) and have someone rotate the engine a couple turns while you check how much travel it has.
    Thanks for this info! I did that, and it looks to be in the 1/2" range. I think the pump I got is bad. The pump arm has about 1/4" free-play in it. At lunch today I'll be going to the local marine parts store and checking out the free-play on a new pump there. If their pump has less play I'll have to pay the marine store price.

blowngas
    been too many years and too many beers since I replaced a manual pump----if I remember right---you can screw a bolt thru a tapped hole on the front of the block that will hold the pump pushrod up in place while you install the pump---after pump installed, you back the bolt off and lock it or remove it and plug the hole----like I said, been too long----maybe someone else and jump in and give some more info

blowngas
    you can check the pump by putting it in a vise and push the pump lever up and down by hand-----hold your thumb over the inlet hole----you should feel a vaccum being pulled against your thumb while pumping the pump lever or screw a vaccum guage in if you have one of those

Duane HTP
    That trick works on a small block, but not on a BBC. I've run into the short fuel pump push rod several times over the years. Maybe it was a pushrod from something else. I may be wrong here. But it always cured the problem when I put in the longer one. And yes, if your fuel pump arm has much free play, it is probably the problem.

jtmarten
    Well, I checked at the local boat store and the new pumps I checked out had the same amount of free-play. I reassembled it last night and got nothing. I then filled the hose between the pump and carb with carb cleaner, hooked it back to the carb and tried it. Must have needed that to get primed for some reason, 'cause after a few seconds it started pumping.
    Thanks again everyone for the help!
    Jeff