Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Torque or HP?

momudder720
    What's the key element for jet boats, torque or horsepower? In muddin, torque is everything. I know that torque getss you off the line quicker, but in all the specs for the different engines I've see here, everyone talks about the HP ratings on their engines with no mention of torque. On the average, how much tq/hp does a jet take to run? I know that's a pretty broad question because there are so many different setups, I'm just curious what the overall concensus is.

victorfb
    i built my motor for torque as thats were i beleive your "pulling" power comes from. its a 502 BBC in a 18' rogers with a berk JG pump A/B impeller. this past weekend i GPSed it even though the motor wasnt running as it should. (needs some tuning) i hit 81.3 mph at just below 5k rpm. i say just below because it never hit the 5k telltale needle as it normally does. but i didnt look to see were exactly it was running. i suspect another 300 rpm after the tune. at around 9.5-1 comp and a small cam this motor is built for torque. i was surprized to see the top speed i reached but it proved to me that my theory was correct.

Cas
    oh boy, here we go again!
    This topic has arroused some real good "debates" in the past. I also built mine around tq but it has to be in the right rpm range. You don't want to build an engine with a ton of tq on the low end like you would with a 4x4, it's best to have the peak tq in the 4500 rpm range. From there, the HP can take over.
    I saved one of the threads about tq v hp in MS Word, want a copy? It's pretty darn long.

driving your jet up and down the river is like driving a 3/4 ton truck up a hill, wide open and in second gear.
    Ya gotta have gobs of tourque.

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
    Torque is what drives the boat. Horsepower is for Bullshitting while bench racing. Simple, more beer, the more horsepower you make!!!!! Budlight

MudPumper
    I'm making the POPCORN.

Devilman
    driving your jet up and down the river is like driving a 3/4 ton truck up a hill, wide open and in second gear.
    Ya gotta have gobs of tourque.
    I thought about it & pictured myself in my old 78 Ford. That has got to be the best way to describe it, period!!

PC Rat
    I like to have a lot of horsepower and no torque at all.

Squirtin Thunder
    I like to have a lot of horsepower and no torque at all.
    But how do you get HP with no Tq ???????

Moose
    You just use a Torque Wrench :rollside:

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast