Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Running Havasu every weekend is Costly!!

Racer277
    Hey Sean, I'll go get that Yellow/Black GSXR1000-and we can share!!!!LOL
    Right on, thanks for the backup! I don't need it Every Day anyway!
    How was Mojave? Sorry I never go a hold of you, we've been running around like chickens!

AZKC
    That's what I was thinking:
    $15,000/$2.50 per gallon = 6,000 gallons x 15 mpg = 90,000 miles
    THAT is a LOT of trips to/from the river :idea:
    DING

sorry dog
    We are thinking the same thing, in a different way. My truck is getting old and gas is killing us right now.
    We are planning on buying a commuter car, and just leaving the truck for towing/hauling only. We should come out ahead in the long run.
    New tow rig $50k+
    Annual gas $4000-$6k towing and every day driving
    Total $54k-$56k
    Current truck paid for
    Annual gas towing only $1000-$1500 (10 trips a year)
    Commuter car $15k
    Annual gas $2k
    Total $18k-$18.5
    Savings of $36k..... down payment on new boat!! :hammer2:
    And we have a 3rd car for emergencies.
    t 0 1 2 3 4 5 NPV @ 6% discount
    Rice Burner/Old truck -18000 -3000 -3000 -3000 -4000 -4000 $32,176.44)
    New truck- trade in -40000 -5000 -5000 -5000 -5000 -5000 ($61,061.82)
    Difference is ($28,885.38)
    (i did 18k for the rice burner so that you can get power window and a decent stereo.

cc322
    I cant see 15,000.00 being real cost effective, maybe if you have a beater to just leave out there and it is paid for then maybe, but i would rather stick to my truck running back and forth. I fill much safer :wink: As far as the gas that's part of the hobby, to play you gotta pay

MagicMtnDan
    That's what I was thinking:
    $15,000/$2.50 per gallon = 6,000 gallons x 15 mpg = 90,000 miles
    THAT is a LOT of trips to/from the river :idea:
    Plus if you're going to drive 90,000 miles in your little rice box you need to add that to the cost of the rice box plus maintenance.
    Keep the truck:
    1. Save $15,000 for rice box
    2. Save $ on rice box maintenance and insurance
    3. Save $ on gas for rice box
    4. Spend $ on gas for truck
    I don't know who does your accounting but you cannot financially justify buying a new rice box to drive instead of a paid off truck - not unless you're driving a helluva lot of miles!

BIGCHRIS
    I cant see 15,000.00 being real cost effective, maybe if you have a beater to just leave out there and it is paid for then maybe, but i would rather stick to my truck running back and forth. I fill much safer :wink: As far as the gas that's part of the hobby, to play you gotta pay
    I agree CC u cant put a price on a good time

MAINEVENT
    Just to inform those potential Havasu 2nd HOme owners that we recently purchased a SCION (TOASTER) for the sole purpose of traveling to Havasu on the weekends. Since, we have to be there all most every weekend for the regattas gas in the Diesel was costing an average of $300 a trip not to mention the miles we we putting on our vehicles.
    The solution was the SCION out the door for less than $15k room for 4 comfortably and the best part the cost form HB to the Havasu $22-24 in gas. We keep a 4wd Suburban at the Havasu house to launch the boat so those that are tired of the cost of gas you have options.
    We rate the SCION a 8.5 only because it lacks power, otherwise it is a great hauler it has almost as much room as our suburban inside REALLY!
    just 02.
    The lack of horse power can be improved by some simple bolt-ons i think those xB are pretty sweet and roomy commuters good to hear someones take on it

sorry dog
    but i would rather stick to my truck running back and forth. I fill much safer :wink: As far as the gas that's part of the hobby, to play you gotta pay
    Another side of that would be that a smaller car is more likely to avoid the accident in the first place... I feel just as safe in my rice burner as my truck.

25Elmn8r
    Surprisingly, those damn things rate pretty well in accidents......who'dathunk?
    My daughter and I have "I Spy" games on the road to see who sees more "Lunch Boxes" on any given road trip.
    They are Toasters not Lunch Boxes!
    http://www.scionlife.com/gallery/dat...4Toster1v2.jpg
    They are actually really big inside! 2 of the guys that work for me have them and they love them. We have put just as much equipment in one as my suburban. It blew me away when that happened.
    As Ziggy stated they rate pretty good in an accident.

voodoomedman
    We just did the same thing. Bought another car and left the lifted gaz guzzler in the garage with the boat at our Havasu house. Will save all kinds of money on gas and 35 inch tires.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast