Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: berkeley je or jc?

Bouhone
    I am looking to buy either a 18 Spectra with a Berk. JE or a 18 Spectra with a JC pump. Both boats have a stock 460 in them. Which boat would be best from a performance standpoint??

SPECTRABRENT
    I would go with the JE pump in the Spectra 18 because it allows more room with the set back motor.
    The JC or JG is a better pump if you were to add more HP.
    The Spectra 18 with a 460 Ford and JE pump runs 55 to 60 if you added a place diverter
    that would add a few MPH.
    Brent

Bouhone
    Thanks Brent, does the JE not respond well to adding power? Because I'd eventually plan on adding a cam, intake and carb as well as the diverter.

SPECTRABRENT
    I think if you did a little motor work you will be OK.
    I would not go adding a blower etc. That set up Spectra 18 w/ JE pump was more of a ski boat.
    For more Spectra info. go to www.spectramarine.com (http://www.spectramarine.com)
    Brent

flat broke
    The only problem that I can see from the diagrams is that the intake on the JE is smaller than a JC. But if you weren't looking at racing the thing, I think the JE would be fine. Like SpectraBrent said, it will give you more room inside the boat, and shifting the motor back further should help you unwet a tad bit more hull.
    Chris

mikey
    I had an Anthony 20 mini cruiser back in 1978 with the Berkeley 12JF (JE with the Berkeley jet-o-vator). It was the best running jet boat I ever owned. I would lean toward the JE pump. The clean out is out side the boat and the motor moves back about 5" for a little more interior room. Performance wise both should be about the same. I have always been a fan of the Spectra boats. I don't think anybody could go wrong buying a clean used Spectra. I keep hoping someone will trade an 18 or 20 in for one of our news boats. Last Spectra 20 we got on trade was beat up really bad. I thought about it, but was going to cost to much to fix. So if anybody wants to trade their Spectra for a new Eliminator, see me.
    Mike

rivercrazy
    Is the JE and insert type pump?

SB
    Look at an old HB jet tech from about a year ago. E pump is set back, gives more room inside boat. E pump not great for performance because at higher speeds the water can't make the turn at intake.

Bajajet
    The E pump is set back and is an insert pump as well as a JF, Dominator TD, and AMT has their version also. I run an "E" myself. I have sent pictures of my intake to one of the Pro's and the comment was "it was not a bad intake compared to most insert type installations". Obviously the intake on an insert type pump is only as good as the time the boat builder spent on it. Just my observations.

rivercrazy
    I've heard insert type installations create some handling issues like muddy steering, poor reverse, and cavatation in tight turns at low speed at WOT. Any body heard the same?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast