Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin engines in a 29' boat. Why?

Phat Matt
    This was brought up on another thread so I thought I would start one.
    My reason is pretty simple. I think I will have less problems with 2 drives in the water. I will have 2 turn key engines that won't have to work as hard as a single one. I won't have to worry about blowing out drives with a single 850HP motor. My cruising rpm's will be less than a single motor. I can run 87 octane. Would you rather have a 4x4 or a 2x4? I can turn on a dime. It looks cool. My new boat was built for twins.

Havasu Hangin'
    My reason is pretty simple. I think I will have less problems with 2 drives in the water. I will have 2 turn key engines that won't have to work as hard as a single one. I won't have to worry about blowing out drives with a single 850HP motor. My cruising rpm's will be less than a single motor. I can run 87 octane. Would you rather have a 4x4 or a 2x4? I can turn on a dime. It looks cool. My new boat was built for twins.
    Two engines are easier to manuever in tight spaces...

ROZ
    Would you rather have a 4x4 or a 2x4?
    Douglas fir or pressure treated? I guess is depends if you used galvanized hardware...

Rev. Williams
    Outdrives are like women..... One will work, and a second would be great, but IT'S GONNA COST YOU TWICE AS MUCH !!! :jawdrop:

FRENCHIE
    AND I SAY....WHAT MATT SAID!!!! I WANTED TO BE LIKE MATT!!!!!
    :hammer2: :hammer2:

Phat Matt
    Douglas fir or pressure treated? I guess is depends if you used galvanized hardware...
    You could have gone the In-N-Out direction also.
    http://www.awaitingtheday.com/albums...5/DSCN1409.jpg

rivercrazy
    Safety (redundancy)
    Nothing sounds better than twins!
    Much less stress on the O/D's
    Bling
    Gas bills!

Bad Baja
    29' outlaw, Twin 500HP, two bravo XR's. Can we say bullet proof!

ROZ
    You could have gone the In-N-Out direction also.
    http://www.awaitingtheday.com/albums...5/DSCN1409.jpg
    I like your line of thinking, but people get tired of hearing about a skinny mofo who eats like a pig and doesn't gain any weight....
    Besides, the buns don't do well after being subjected to water....

bohica
    In a 29' boat I would of went with a single 525/575. How much speed will you gain with twin 496's - not that much. You'll have double the maintanence. The shops love twins, back one in and get paid for 2.
    Insurance will be higher, they think with 2 motors it'll go twice as fast.
    As far as reliability and piece of mind while offshore, buy vessel assist and a radio and let them tow you in.
    The manueverability with twins can't be beat. Will your 29 get up on plane with only 1 motor. I had bigger boats and no way could you get it on plane with only 1. It would stay on plane with only one, almost shiat when the boat builder shut one motor off at 60mph on a test drive.
    Most twins only run 1 power steering pump. Sucks when the motor that goes down is the one with the pump. Makes for a tuff job limping back on 1 motor with no steering.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast