Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Twin engines in a 29' boat. Why?

LHC30Victory
    Nope. Mine is in the mold. It'll have twins though.
    And I think without the IMCO stuff. Right? Lets be sensible now.....There must be money left for a certain piece of metal and stone...

Phat Matt
    And I think without the IMCO stuff. Right? Lets be sensible now.....There must be money left for a certain piece of metal and stone...
    I was just saying those were a nice looking set of twins. Mine will look like this...XR's with full Imco hydraulic steering.
    http://www.eticketboats.com/luxury_c...xury-Cat-3.jpg
    The left over money goes toward a stereo and generator.

Beer-30
    I know of a boat like mine that had a 1000 HP 10-71 motor. The guy wanted to hit 90. It did 95 but was not stable. Sound about right for a V with that HP. They advertise the boat weighing "5300", but it is unknown at what level fuel, with what motor, etc.
    I would expect a 29 Mag to be somewhat less, due to less freeboard and a foot or so shorter.

Steamin' Rice
    .... I think I saw a 29 out at Elsinore with a single 800-900 HP Whipple motor that ran about 88 mph? I did not hear how it handled at that speed though?
    Thanks
    I think you are correct.. They built a 29 with a whippled 500EFI (I think around 800 HP) and top speed was about 88 MPH. I didn't ride in this one, but don't remember hearing anything negative about the ride at top speed.. I would still vote for twins over a single big HP motor, but twin stock motors don't look as cool as a single quad rotor..

INSman
    Gary, check your PM's
    Blane
    INSman,
    How does your boat run with two 496's. I think I saw a 29 out at Elsinore with a single 800-900 HP Whipple motor that ran about 88 mph? I did not hear how it handled at that speed though?
    Thanks

TPI
    The boat I am thinking of had a 3.3 whipple on it and aluminum heads. It might have started out as a 500 at some point. It sounded good that day, I just didnt know how it ran factually.
    You will definately gain quite a bit of stability with twins, as the boat does not want to torque to one side when you get on it. A big power single can have this problem(torquing to one side), and then it will give you the thrill of "flopping" from side to side(usually above 80 mph). I dont even want to say those two words, but the initals are (CW). Twins are cool and usually easier to control at high speeds.

HOSS
    Douglas fir or pressure treated? I guess is depends if you used galvanized hardware...
    Damn good bro,,,,,,,I`m slowing down. Damn good.

shockwavebd
    Once you go twins............ya never go back.......................

Big Warlock
    And it sounds like you guys thought it out. I am looking forward to seeing your boats when they come out. I am not opposed to twins. Heck of a lot easier to manuever. I was thinking of the cost verses the speed increase, if any.
    I hope to have a twin setup in something by summer of '06. I have twin diesels in the 50 footer and it's a must. Next boat there will also have bow thruster!
    Good luck guys. Keep posting the pics of the build. It really is interesting.
    I will say that last weekend we watched Dexter in his 29 foot Shockwave handle the rough stuff offshore. Sure looked that the boat was handling great!!

Dr. Eagle
    Two engines are easier to manuever in tight spaces...
    No kidding, having the ability to reverse one screw makes docking much easier.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast