Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 496 MAG HO 425 HP Vs. 525 HP EFI 500 HP

MR HARLEY
    Should I spend the extra 15 grand for 75 horsepower ? Or are there systems out there that I can do afterward such as a Bolt on the HO 496.
    I dont want to have the boat lug while full of people, ice chests and gas while pulling skiers , thats one of my main concerns among other things I am not aware of yet .
    What are the Pros and Cons ?
    The motor is going in is a 28' Advantage Party Cat .

dicudmore
    for the 28 you'd better get AT LEAST the 525...
    remember too, part of that 15 grand is the upgrade from the Bravo1X (HO) to the XR (525) and headers...
    28'er with a 496 will be BORING at best

phebus
    I would also ask the dealer if the upgrade includes hydraulic steering. A lot of times the upgrade price is a package deal, and the 525 needs the steering upgrade. I would definately go with the bigger motor, that is a big heavy boat, that will carry a heavy load of people and gear.

phebus
    I would also compare insurance costs before making a decision.

MR HARLEY
    for the 28 you'd better get AT LEAST the 525...
    remember too, part of that 15 grand is the upgrade from the Bravo1X (HO) to the XR (525) and headers...
    28'er with a 496 will be BORING at best
    Yeah its a 15 grand jump from the already 7 grand invested into the HO 496..**Shakes Head **
    Should'nt be a tuff decision right ?
    Phebus ,
    Yes the Hydralic steering is being upgraded also, but is not included in the price . $ 3600 dollar upgrade , and I will check on the insurance , thanks for the tip .

dicudmore
    Yeah its a 15 grand jump from the already 7 grand invested into the HO 496..**Shakes Head **
    Phebus ,
    Yes the Hydralic steering is being upgraded also, but is not included in the price . $ 3600 dollar upgrade , and I will check on the insurance , thanks for the tip .
    its definitely staggering...
    I really believe though that you wouldn't be happy with the HO in that 28'

Kilrtoy
    Phebus ,
    You lost me, what motor does that boat come with.....7K upgrade for a 496......You are getting screwed..

MR HARLEY
    You lost me, what motor does that boat come with.....7K upgrade for a 496......You are getting screwed..
    7 grand to go from a 6.2 (Stock motor given in the 28') to the HO 496 .. thats cost from Mercury .
    15 grand from there to go to the 525 ....all prices are cost from Mercury
    Breakdown as to what info was givin to me from Advantage
    6.2 comes with the boat
    496 Mag =3000 upgrade
    HO 496=additional 4000
    525= additional 15 grand from the already 7 grand jump from stock .

Kilrtoy
    7 grand to go from a 6.2 (Stock motor given in the 28') to the HO 496 .. thats cost from Mercury .
    15 grand from there to go to the 525 ....all prices are cost from Mercury
    Breakdown as to what info was givin to me from Advantage
    6.2 comes with the boat
    496 Mag =3000 upgrade
    HO 496=additional 4000
    525= additional 15 grand from the already 7 grand jump from stock .
    I cant beleive that boat comes with a 6.2..... that is like putting a 4 cylinder in a corvette...
    tell them to throw the 496 mag in and then its a 3K upgrade to the HO and then its 15 from there....
    tell them to stop bending you over...
    BUT I AGREE, you can not go any smaller than a 525
    your upgrade is 18k from the mag and tell them to take it or you'll leave it....

BoatPI
    Would the 6.2 even get the boat on plane? that heavy boat needs HP, but checkout insurance!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast