Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator Q

76elimspecial
    I Need A New Alternator For My Bbf. Does It Absolutely Need To Be A Marine Alt. Theres No Cover On The Motor. Any Insight Would Be Appreciated.

AZKC
    I Need A New Alternator For My Bbf. Does It Absolutely Need To Be A Marine Alt. Theres No Cover On The Motor. Any Insight Would Be Appreciated.
    Nope I run a chrome car one. But there be some Coast Gaurd regulation but I doubt its enforced on lakes and rivers

76elimspecial
    Thanx. Has Anybody Ever Had A Bad Experience Runnin A Car Alternator???

BIGCHRIS
    everybody around here runs a car one no problems i no of

AZKC
    Thanx. Has Anybody Ever Had A Bad Experience Runnin A Car Alternator???
    They work fine, now starters on the other hand, I prefer marine they seem to last alot longer.

Devilman
    What's the difference between a "car" alternator & a "marine" alternator? Just curious, I've got a 429 with a Motorola "marine" alternator. The guy I bought it from wasn't running an alternator at all(it had a bad regulator), he gave me the Motorola later, I had it repaired, & put it back on. Running without one sux BTW. Not having any problems, but wondering what the difference is...

76elimspecial
    What's the difference between a "car" alternator & a "marine" alternator? Just curious, I've got a 429 with a Motorola "marine" alternator. The guy I bought it from wasn't running an alternator at all(it had a bad regulator), he gave me the Motorola later, I had it repaired, & put it back on. Running without one sux BTW. Not having any problems, but wondering what the difference is...
    I THINK IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE ARCING A CAR ALT GETS AND THE FUMES IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. A COAST GUARD THING.

momudder720
    If you're running an open engine bay, just getcherself a GM 1-wire altenator. Self energizing, and oughta be easy enougy for you to fab up...no voltage regulator, just 1 big wire to run straight to the battery.

76elimspecial
    If you're running an open engine bay, just getcherself a GM 1-wire altenator. Self energizing, and oughta be easy enougy for you to fab up...no voltage regulator, just 1 big wire to run straight to the battery.
    GOTCHA. THANX.

If you want a 1-wire and don't feel like fabbing anything up, check Jegs. Their latest catalog shows a 1-wire Ford alternator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast