Thread: Battery Memory Lead?

desertbird
    I'm puttin' a fancy smancy systme in my boat too. Up until now, I have always wired the head unit to a switch that when shut off, shut's the whole thing down, including the memory wire. Meaning: No clock, no stations, and no sound settings retained.
    On this boat, I am putting a pretty hi-end Clarion that has a LOT of things to set. Anybody have any tricks to using the memory backup without draining the battery? Does anybody use the memory backup? (You know, the wires that are supposed to be hooked up to constant positive, not switched)
    HELP! :220v:
    I've considered:
    1) Custom 10 Cell back of sub-C 3300 RC car batteries wired in on a relay. :smile:
    2) Solar Cell :idea:
    3) Hook it up like the old way and deal with the reset every time I start my boat (AARRGGHH!!) :yuk:
    4) Try it the right way with the memory wire and see if the battery dies?!?
    I know the wise and wonderful members of the board have answered this by now. Thanks!

Havasu Hangin'
    4) Try it the right way with the memory wire and see if the battery dies?!?
    That memory wire uses so little current, that it will probably not kill your batteries (depending on how much you use your boat). I'd bypass the Perko, and just throw a charger on it for a little bit if you don't use the boat for awhile.

desertbird
    Is that the general concensus? I believe It uses hardly anything, but hardly anything for a while in storage is a lot!
    I suppose I could hide a switch under the dash, then just set the thing once per weekend or season........hmmmm.

Havasu Hangin'
    Is that the general concensus? I believe It uses hardly anything, but hardly anything for a while in storage is a lot!
    I suppose I could hide a switch under the dash, then just set the thing once per weekend or season........hmmmm.
    There may be a spec in the manual on how how current draw it uses. Just do the math...you should be able to figure out how much it will run a battery down.
    Personally, I think that if you are using your boat so little that a memory wire is killing the batteries...it might be time to sell the boat.

Beer-30
    Some times a 9V battery is all that is needed.
    However, I agree that it draws SOOOOO little current that it shouldn't drain batts in a month of sundays. Your batteries shouldn't be sitting long enough anyway, because you don't let them sit around and sulfate.....right?

riverbound
    That memory wire uses so little current, that it will probably not kill your batteries (depending on how much you use your boat). I'd bypass the Perko, and just throw a charger on it for a little bit if you don't use the boat for awhile.
    I agree

Beer-30
    Did a friend's Malibu that way. By-passed Perko and put a direct line to the memory with a 2 amp blade fuse at the source. Works fine.

desertbird
    Yeah, I'm gonna do it, but with a hidden switch under the dash. That way when the boat sits for some time between trips it's not always a draw, but throughout the weekend, I won't have to keep resetting everything!

Beer-30
    That'll work. Best of both worlds.