Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Wicked Performance Boats !!!!

But for most of these little shops that farm it out to shops like the well known one in Corona I think those guys will do as good of a job or better then someone who doesn't do it all the time.
    Are you serious? Better that someone who knows his own molds, and has a one on one connection with his customers.
    no fockin way.

Check with most of the "builders" and I think you will find that most of them do not even do their own repairs! It's much harder to do repairs and not cost effective to them. As far as the lay-up, I would much rather have a company that is set up for this and has workers that do it all the time and not a "glass shop" that does many other things. A lamination shop go's thru material faster and has fresher and cleaner stuff to work with. The workers do the same thing day in and day out. They are very good and trained at what they do. And you do have some control of what they do. If it is not right you don't take it!! Bottom line! That falls on the company selling the boat.
    Why on earth would you buy a boat from someone who can't lay it to begin with and up and can't fix it when you mash it up?

superdave013
    Hey Old Rigger, when Howard is forced into some VOC control please have them come see me. I'll talk to the powers that be here and see if we could swing some boat shop pricing. lol

I think if the manufacturer sticks with the same lay-up guy, and has good communication with them, then there shouldnt be a problem with farming it out.The lay-up guys and manufacturer can work togethor, and every boat can be a little better than the last one if they are working togethor and developing it by making changes for the better after each boat,to me thats how it should work.
    Man, I just wish there was a market for small hot rod jetboats, Id love to get involved in something like that.
    CS

Hey Old Rigger, when Howard is forced into some VOC control please have them come see me. I'll talk to the powers that be here and see if we could swing some boat shop pricing. lol
    Back in the mid 80s when the aqmd was really comming down hard on the shops, we had a state of the art booth installed for the gelcoating. It was a pain in the ass to follow the regulations they put down. So we played their game, kept a log of all material used, and just sprayed a night in the old booth when no one was around. They're killing the boat biz in cali. Didn't effect the small shops like Rogers and so on because of the low volume of boats built and product used. He was grandfathered in for life, til he sold the property.

I think if the manufacturer sticks with the same lay-up guy, and has good communication with them, then there shouldnt be a problem with farming it out.The lay-up guys and manufacturer can work togethor, and every boat can be a little better than the last one if they are working togethor and developing it by making changes for the better after each boat,to me thats how it should work.
    CS
    A great example of that, and a rare one, is Scotton.

If these guys are not doing thier own molds what makes them anything more then a cost center for the guys who lay up the molds. Basically here is your product, fill it with stuff, and lets put some lipstick on this pig, SELL SELL SELL. It must be hard for guys like Howard to compete in this type of market. (unless you have an unbeatable quality like them and Schiada)
    there's always a market for quality.

My post may have sounded like I favor the "farming out" deal, obviously in house lay-ups are ideal, but lets be realistic, guys like Scotten and Papp cannot afford all these things SD013 mentions.
    Sure Howard is doing it the right way, but can we compare Cal. Performance with Howard?
    Im pretty damn sure Cal perf. would be lucky to sell a dozen boats this year.
    CS

sdpm
    You guys have it all figured out! Why don't you buy my molds, build them in house to my expectations and standards and then I will buy them from you at what I buy them now? Step up!! Lets go. You will be rich in no time!!

superdave013
    My post may have sounded like I favor the "farming out" deal, obviously in house lay-ups are ideal, but lets be realistic, guys like Scotten and Papp cannot afford all these things SD013 mentions.
    Sure Howard is doing it the right way, but can we compare Cal. Performance with Howard?
    Im pretty damn sure Cal perf. would be lucky to sell a dozen boats this year.
    CS
    Howard is doing it the right way for now. That will change soon and they will have to step up to sometype of VOC control. Just the way it is.
    OldRigger, if you think the AQMD was a hard ass in the 80's you should see what it's like in 2,005. lol
    I would say right now the printing industry is our largest customer. But the styrine processes like spas and bathtubs are catchin up quick. (they make tubs with chopper guns just like OR did boats back in the day LMAO, j/k Rich lol)
    Our sales team has been targeting the boating industry lately. Mostly the big guys like Bayliner, Sea Ray and the blue water guys that are really pumping boats out. But that's just the start. It will trickel down to eveyone else. And as it sould if you want to keep breathing.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast