Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cracked impeller

ChetCapoli
    I've tried to be real clear on the fact that I really don't have any first hand experience with them. I'm just relaying data. I thought it was a little ironic that just a couple of weeks ago someone was selling another Agressor impeller because of the same "cracks". Just a few weeks ago one of their brand new bowls blew holes in itself.
    Funny when i had my boat a few years back there was always all this BS about how aggressor is no good, inferior, yada yada yada...but yet i had 700hp and ran an aluminum aggresor impeller and bowl for 3 seasons without ANY trouble what so ever. Never hesitated to mash the loud pedal either. What do you have to say about that steelchump?? Why not shut your pie hole until you try them eh?? They only ones on the inferior, subpar parts brigade are the ones who have never used it...like you for instance....why is that??? I can see if the parts arent warrentied or something but they are so whats the big deal??? Are you getting paid for this or something?? HBJet vanishes then you show up...whats up with that?? We went round and round for months on this stuff...seems like yesterday. You dont know cuz you werent around. I remember when i wanted some advice, pops at aggressor spent numerous times with me on his dime helping me out. Nice guy to say the least. Much less he was always talking about the racers and how he loves helping them. Do you see any the guys at berkeley or the others helping out or sponsoring racers??? Support the people who support you will ya! Gheesh!
    There seems to be a pattern here, and if asked, I'll give my opinion The writing's on the wall.
    Thats strange coffecup steelchump....who asked for your opinion??? I can't seem to find it here..
    Bad reputations AFA products are concerned don't come from no where.
    Don't make this something personal, because I don't relate Agressor's rep to you or your business in any way, OK? :coffeycup
    I dont see to much on his site to say otherwise but i thought the promotor sold strictly aggressor parts....with how much experience and "good guy" stature he has that should tell you something eh?? Whadiathink there steelchump??? Just my opinion but there sure seems to be alot more aggressor around these days more so then there used to be. Must work eh?? If i ever do get another jetboat again, i'll still look for the best price on parts though, just might not be aggressor sorry to say. Seems the berkeley is cheapest around now a days. Too bad CP sucks!
    CHET

Jet Hydro
    steelcomp I have an Aggressor pump on the Hydro that has been aired out many times with a blown 454.
    No problems what so ever, even after 3 years of racing and lake uses.

steelcomp
    Chet, Chet, Chet. Wadawe gonna do with your sorry ass. "Steelchump" LOL......did you think that one up on your own?? Pretty good for your mentality, but my bet is someone gave it to you, YDMF.
    Thats strange coffecup steelchump....who asked for your opinion??? I can't seem to find it here.. That's because you're just a pissed off little troublemaker, Chet, and have nothing of any value to say what so ever.
    This is from the thread starter FHI Prez: (Not surprised you missed it, though.)
    Has anyone else had this problem with an Aggressor tenzaloy impeller? Should I look at another, like Berk, AT, or something? I'm a damn loyal customer when It comes to brands and such, but when I get burned once I have a hard time just slappin the same brand in again. That little crack could have been potentially fatal to the jet pump if I hadn't been bored and pulled the pump apart.
    So, lets see, Chet. You ran ONE of their impellers with, woooooo!!! 700 whole HP! Man, that's a lot! Now you're an expert. ROTFLMAO!!
    Still dosen't change the facts, Chet. After what I've seen, and what I've heard, not only have I never run an Agressor part, I never will., and with YOUR endorsement, it kinda seals the deal. And if the parts are warranteed, why hasn't someone stepped up here and offered FHI a new one? (Maybe they have...dunno, but I wouldn't replace junk w/ junk...know what I mean?)
    Sounds like you're begging for donuts, Chet! I bet ol' Pops is real proud to have you in his donut box! Maybe YOU"RE the one being paid. I'm not endorsing anyone or anything here.
    I dont see to much on his site to say otherwise but i thought the promotor sold strictly aggressor parts....with how much experience and "good guy" stature he has that should tell you something eh??
    Yeah...Duane's an excellent salesman, and a good guy, but I bet he's getting tired of fielding problems with Agressor stuff.
    Never hesitated to mash the loud pedal either. What do you have to say about that steelchump?? Yeah, Chet, we know...the loud pedal under your nose! Maybe you could have that sore sewn up. It's nasty!
    Go crawl back in your cave, wierdo.

steelcomp
    steelcomp I have an Aggressor pump on the Hydro that has been aired out many times with a blown 454.
    No problems what so ever, even after 3 years of racing and lake uses.
    Good for you.

FHI-prez
    Nick
    Some time ago, early last year, I was having major shake and knocking problems with my boat; the whole boat was shaking violently. Took the motor apart twice to try and find a source of detonation or something. It was either this BB or RJB that suggested cavitation in the pump; I was not yet running a loader but did have a shoe (1/2" at 3 deg) Remember I'm running in the same water as you. I took pressure readings at the suction and the pressures were all over the place. A little research revealed the top of the impeller was low on NPSH causing an imbalance (the hull shake) and the cavitation. I am turning an American Turbine 9.25 stainless with an AT bowl for the 9.25. The simple addition of the loader fixed all of the problems and I gained about 300 RPM.
    I am sure that I would have destroyed an Aluminum impeller; maybe more.
    Get the loader or for now baby the thing until you can get the shoe and loader.
    BTW - when are you going to do the St. Johns; or is that where you have been???
    Tom
    This is exactly why I don't want to rush to judgement on a bad or faulty impeller. I do maintain that the area that cracked doesn't look "the same" as the same areas on the other blades. But looks can be deceiving. I'd bet I need to do some set up work to the pump to make sure this doesn't happen again. I'm going to have to assume at this point that I may have some pressure fluctuations in the pump and go ahead and shoe it and load it. Both are relatively inexpensive and might even give me a more economical ride and just maybe a bit more top end. I don't stab it very often, but would be nice to gain some mph without just throwing more hp at it. But again, my priority is reliability, not WFO speed.
    I've been in the Indian quite a bit, and in the St. Johns. Been doing some camping on the islands in the north Indian, almost to Hollover canal. But when it's time to ski it's the St. Johns. As far as when I'm heading to the St. Johns again.....the morning after I get my pump back together.
    That reminds me, have you ever been to Lake Monroe on July 4th for the fireworks? One of the funnest runs I've ever done was heading back to Mullet lake park through all the twistie river bends in the blackness of night haulin ass, being led by a bunch of airboats with daylights lighting the path, and 50 other boats of all kinds giving chase. Was a bit unnerving at first, but I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes in a few minutes. I'll let you know when I get her back together, I really wanna see that twin turbo jewel you got floatin around. Don't want to race ya tho, I'd get my ass handed to me.
    :notam:
    Nick

ttmott
    All of the new impellers are excellent components regardless who does the final machining. Quite probably the same company does the castings for all; not uncommon in mass production these days. I think it comes down to the inspections before placed in stock; even though, one or two will get through the system with core shift or other defects. People like you and I have to assume the component is correct as we do not put twenty pumps together a week and don't know all of the quirks to look for. School of hard knocks..... Sounds to me like you are a victim of tolerance stackup whereas you have some cavitation a slightly out of spec impeller and enough HP to take it all over the edge - lesson learned. For years it was taboo to run aluminum impellers in anything over 500 HP and 5500 RPM; they have gotten much better as I don't see such disclaimers anymore.
    When you are ready to cut the intake for the shoe let me know I have a Bridgeport and all of the tooling and can take you through it.
    The other folks that are pitching in (SteelJetChet) seem to know impellers and pumps technically quite well. They probably build quite a few pumps, put thousands of HP and RPM on them and have undoubtedly seen it all. Take it off the tech. pages boyz......Let the man work his problem.

American Turbine Man
    All of the new impellers are excellent components regardless who does the final machining. Quite probably the same company does the castings for all; not uncommon in mass production
    I can assure you American Turbine and Dominator castings are not run at the same foundry as any of the others. ATM

FHI-prez
    All of the new impellers are excellent components regardless who does the final machining. Quite probably the same company does the castings for all; not uncommon in mass production these days. I think it comes down to the inspections before placed in stock; even though, one or two will get through the system with core shift or other defects. People like you and I have to assume the component is correct as we do not put twenty pumps together a week and don't know all of the quirks to look for. School of hard knocks..... Sounds to me like you are a victim of tolerance stackup whereas you have some cavitation a slightly out of spec impeller and enough HP to take it all over the edge - lesson learned. For years it was taboo to run aluminum impellers in anything over 500 HP and 5500 RPM; they have gotten much better as I don't see such disclaimers anymore.
    When you are ready to cut the intake for the shoe let me know I have a Bridgeport and all of the tooling and can take you through it.
    The other folks that are pitching in (SteelJetChet) seem to know impellers and pumps technically quite well. They probably build quite a few pumps, put thousands of HP and RPM on them and have undoubtedly seen it all. Take it off the tech. pages boyz......Let the man work his problem.
    Yeah, the skool of hard knocks can be painful when you have to stay after class and get a brow beating. But, I'm still and always will be learning, so I have to take it in stride. The plan is to put the impeller in and add a loader along with a shoe. I really want to make sure the pump stays loaded and at least try to eliminate a cavitation problem. I've talked with a couple of pump gurus today and learned a lot. I'm not going to machine the intake per say, I'm going to put on a add a shoe kit as it will be better than nothing. The last thing I want to do is pull that damn E pump out of the boat. That is a whole can of worms I don't want to open. I really do appreciate the offer with the Bridgeport, and you can bet your ass I'll come beggin to use it for something
    :crossx: But for now, a add a shoe, and a loader will keep me out of trouble for awhile I'm gathering. A droop will come soon thereafter to see how it affects the boat pertaining to speed and ride quality. Still want to see that twin turbo moose you're running tho.
    I'll get a handle on this....sooner or later.
    Thanks again,
    Nick

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123