Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spectra 24XS V-Drive questions.....

BobbyB
    I have the chance to pick one up, from the original owner. It has a 454, and the guy said it's been rebuilt once. :idea:
    I currently have a jet drive, so I don't know much about V-Drives.
    My questions are:
    1) What kind of speeds can be expected? (the guy said he remembers 45)
    2) Do you have to blueprint the bottom to get more speed from it?
    3) What is it worth?
    -C77

spectras only
    Great boat . Has no hook in the bottom design. 45 mph sounds slow , depends on what engine it has . Mild 460 bbf you can expect up to 50. My boat has the LS-6 and got it close to 60 with light load and repitched prop. Make sure you have a proper
    V-drive pan with baffle and trap door,like Dooley . Most of these boats came with crate engines and wrong [ automotive ] pans. There's no limit on speed [ I'm sure it would run rock solid 80+ ] providing you have a monster engine. The hull is super strong [ 4400lbs dry] with four full length stringers. Gary Garbrecht ran one with twins well over 80 mph in the late 70's.Make a visit to Greg Shoemaker ,he rebuilt that one .Jim Wilkes used to be a spectra dealer,so he should know a lot about them.Price wise they run as low as 7 K , high as 25 K , depending on condition and power plants .I would jump on it since it's the desireable low cabin version.

BobbyB
    Great boat . Has no hook in the bottom design. 45 mph sounds slow , depends on what engine it has . Mild 460 bbf you can expect up to 50. My boat has the LS-6 and got it close to 60 with light load and repitched prop. Make sure you have a proper
    V-drive pan with baffle and trap door,like Dooley . Most of these boats came with crate engines and wrong [ automotive ] pans. There's no limit on speed [ I'm sure it would run rock solid 80+ ] providing you have a monster engine. The hull is super strong [ 4400lbs dry] with four full length stringers. Gary Garbrecht ran one with twins well over 80 mph in the late 70's.Make a visit to Greg Shoemaker ,he rebuilt that one .Jim Wilkes used to be a spectra dealer,so he should know a lot about them.Price wise they run as low as 7 K , high as 25 K , depending on condition and power plants .I would jump on it since it's the desireable low cabin version.
    Spectras Only, Thanks for the reply. It's funny you mention "the Hook" in the bottom, because hearing of that is the reason I asked. The boat actually falls in the lower part of that price range. I will post pics if I get her.
    THanks,
    -Custom77

spectras only
    If you got the Ace Champion V-drive unit like this here=
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Champion%20Ace.jpg
    it has a feature you can flip it to change the gear ratio from underdrive to overdrive ,without replacing gears .It's one of the toughest and quitest drives. Good luck with it.

BobbyB
    If you got the Ace Champion V-drive unit like this here=
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Champion%20Ace.jpg
    it has a feature you can flip it to change the gear ratio from underdrive to overdrive ,without replacing gears .It's one of the toughest and quitest drives. Good luck with it.
    So flipping it to make the ratio to an overdrive, will give it more top end?
    Thanks,

spectras only
    Generally yes. The holeshot would suffer a bit. Crank up the HP and go overdrive,that's everybodies goal.

Beer-30
    Horsepower ultimately governs your speed.

burtandnancy
    I owned a couple of them too. I turned the original V-drive upside down when I turboed it, then had to start changing V-drives to get better performance as I increased HP. V Drives are always fun, fast and challenging. The designer, builder and one time racer, Bud Bailey, lives in Boulder City, NV and can tell you more than you'll ever want to know. I also had one with a TRS I/O and it handled much better. Both boats are worth owning if they are still in good shape. They look great re-gelled...

BobbyB
    Thanks for the replies
    Sounds logical. Is there another option involving the use of a transmission?

BobbyB
    Generally yes. The holeshot would suffer a bit. Crank up the HP and go overdrive,that's everybodies goal.
    10-4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast