Thread: bbc question

tahiti tim
    okay so in my previous post you could see that i purchased a 1989 carribean witha bbc with bent valves. i have a spare 454 bbc mercruiser 330 horse engine withabout 300 hours on it that was rebuilt stock std std about 3 years ago. the only performance upgrade was a mild cam. would i be better off to rebuild the one in the carribean, or popping in the merc engine with a cam upgrade> if so which cam? i also need to have the interior redone. any recommendations on this? just take it to some upholsery shop or is there someplace online?

tahiti tim
    do i need to change my name from tim's taylor to tim's tahiti?

Beer-30
    Tahiti Tim

Heatseeker
    okay so in my previous post you could see that i purchased a 1989 carribean witha bbc with bent valves. i have a spare 454 bbc mercruiser 330 horse engine withabout 300 hours on it that was rebuilt stock std std about 3 years ago. the only performance upgrade was a mild cam. would i be better off to rebuild the one in the carribean, or popping in the merc engine with a cam upgrade> if so which cam? i also need to have the interior redone. any recommendations on this? just take it to some upholsery shop or is there someplace online?
    If it were me, I'd drop the Mercruiser in as is. While getting used to and enjoying the boat, I would start a high HP rebuild on the core engine.
    I think, like most of us jetters, that you'll want more and more power as time goes by! It's a damn sickness...

Wicked Performance Boats
    If it were me, I'd drop the Mercruiser in as is. While getting used to and enjoying the boat, I would start a high HP rebuild on the core engine.
    I think, like most of us jetters, that you'll want more and more power as time goes by! It's a damn sickness...
    Put the mercruiser in and go boating. Then get a second job, and start saving for building your other motor. Just leave enough time for boating!!! Budlight

Heatseeker
    Put the mercruiser in and go boating. Then get a second job, and start saving for building your other motor. Just leave enough time for boating!!! Budlight
    Now that's what I'm talking about...
    BTW, congrats on your new venture WPB!

SmokinLowriderSS
    After rebuilding my 330HP 454 this spring, I also say drop in the merc-motor, enjoy it, and start buying parts for the REAL jet 454. \
    DuaneHTP worked with me on my desires of a cam kit and advice when I found teeny-tiny pushrods and the small chevy rod bolts. I was sure happy to find the large oval-port hears though! :rollside:
    I'm really liking the .565 lift Isky kit I bought from DuaneHTP. Still feeding her through a 700 Holley 4150, for now, but via a Performer 2.0 Air Gap (another good call). Still feeding her Nitrous too. In a few more run hours I'll put the remaining (inner) valve springs in before dropping the gas on her any.