Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Impeller question for the pump Gurus

Duane HTP
    Marlin,
    Yes, (the blades will need to be re-indexed to make it pull right), the impeller can probably be saved. But don't do it by cutting the center out of the impeller and moving it forward. It might throw your bowl register way off. We make a special wear ring just for your application. The lip of the wear ring is about 1/4" thick to make up for the difference of the material that was taken off of the front of the impeller. That way your pump is sealed up good again and the geometry of the pump parts is still correct.
    BBBaja, you're weclome.

Taylorman
    Marlin,
    Yes, (the blades will need to be re-indexed to make it pull right), the impeller can probably be saved. But don't do it by cutting the center out of the impeller and moving it forward. It might throw your bowl register way off. We make a special wear ring just for your application. The lip of the wear ring is about 1/4" thick to make up for the difference of the material that was taken off of the front of the impeller. That way your pump is sealed up good again and the geometry of the pump parts is still correct.
    BBBaja, you're weclome.
    You mean you not suppose to cut the center of the impeller to move it forward? I feel dumb now. I guess your about to get MORE of my money Duane. I admit it, i did just that a couple years ago.

Duane HTP
    Taylorman, read your PM's.

AmericanThunder1
    Hey Marlin, I had the same thing happen to me on mine and my thrust bearing was toast. I went a different route and bought a kit from Duane with a different impeller and his wear ring and got much better results. I dont know your application but I went with an aggressor B cut impeller that ended up working better then the A I had in it. You might talk to him about it.

Thanks for the input, guys-Duane, can you pm me a price for the wear ring, and possible delivery time? The boat currently has a mild 455-Torquer manifold, ported and polished Ka heads, Comp 292 cam and logs. It was able to turn this A impeller to 5050-5100 rpm, which is about all I care to spin it :2purples: . I am considering a "B" impeller, just to see if it would improve the boat's performance at all. The motor has all the standard oiling system mods, including oil return lines drilled and tapped at the "dogleg" in the heads, so oil starvation shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again, Stan

Well, I pulled the pump to check the thrust bearing- It shows absolutely no signs or wear or slop, was completely packed tight with grease, and spins freely. It has the C-clip in the groove, and is fully seated on the shaft. The bearing cap was tight, and seats perfectly, as it should. I checked the wear ring again, and it appears to have shifted in the bore - It has approx .025 between the back of the wear ring and the shoulder in the suction piece, and I can just barely see the insulator in the gap. Any suggestions?

Duane HTP
    Send me your impeller. I'll re-index and true it and sends it back with a matched wear ring.
    Duane

sidewound
    Send me your impeller. I'll re-index and true it and sends it back with a matched wear ring.
    Duane
    For a decent price and all the support you may need I might add.
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12