Thread: Oil ?

Taylorman
    I pulled my valve covers off today and the inside of the covers are covered in a white colored film. I got water in my oil a while back when my t valve got stuck open. Could this white film be from water in oil? It has the consistency of sour cream. I have been changing my oil after every time i run the boat to try to flush all the water out and it is almost all gone but i still have the white film under the valve covers. What should i do.

Havasu Hangin'
    Sounds like condensation?

Taylorman
    Will it go away by itself?

ONAROLL
    Will it go away by itself?
    Taylorman, try a vented oil filler, the one with the stainless screen will usually stop it, ..........Vic

A little condensation on the inside of the covers is not unusual. If the oil isn't milky in the pan run it. It will burn off (providing you run your engine warm enough to burn it off).

Beer-30
    A little condensation on the inside of the covers is not unusual. If the oil isn't milky in the pan run it. It will burn off (providing you run your engine warm enough to burn it off).
    What is your water temp under way?
    Sounds like whatever it is, you need a some more degrees. Oil not getting warm enough to steam off the water combined with short trips. Maybe oil is getting warm enough, but not running long enough to boil off the water. The vented breather(s) will help.
    In autos, 160 degrees is pretty much the lowest thermostat you will see. Anything cooler generally won't let the oil get warm enough to get rid of water / contaminants.

Taylorman
    What is your water temp under way?
    Sounds like whatever it is, you need a some more degrees. Oil not getting warm enough to steam off the water combined with short trips. Maybe oil is getting warm enough, but not running long enough to boil off the water. The vented breather(s) will help.
    In autos, 160 degrees is pretty much the lowest thermostat you will see. Anything cooler generally won't let the oil get warm enough to get rid of water / contaminants.
    Temp underway is 140-150. I will close off my ball valve to get it up a little.

Hallett19
    how hot does your oil run though ? That is the ticket to getting your water evaporated