Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: dual drive

ultimate1
    I was at the anaheim boat show this week and I saw a dual pump set up at the R&D booth. The thing that impressed me the most was how nicely the gear box looked and how clean the installation was. Does anybody have any other feedback on the dual pump setup since I am going do do it to my boat after the summer season.

Kwicherbichen
    You can call Aggressor and speak with them about the whole dual jet drive thing. They have 2 models one for over 600hp and one for under 600hp.

ultimate1
    thanks for the info i will call them monday but it seems to me that if their unit was that good they would have been at the boat show to show it off anyway i will try to get in touch with them monday thanks Originally posted by Kwicherbichen:
    You can call Aggressor and speak with them about the whole dual jet drive thing. They have 2 models one for over 600hp and one for under 600hp.

ultimate1
    Originally posted by ultimate1:
    thanks for the info i will call them monday but it seems to me that if their unit was that good they would have been at the boat show to show it off anyway i will try to get in touch with them monday thanks
    I forgot to mention that dual drive systems by R&D said that they will call me when they are going to take that ultra to the lake so i could try it out to see if I really like the unit so i coud buy it from them. But I am still going to aggresor to check out their unit to see which is really the best made unit.

LVjetboy
    Hi Ultimate1,
    I love the idea of new stuff, creativity and novel pump designs. But my question is...would a dual pump be more efficient than a single larger pump? If you have the hp to drive the dual pump to efficient impeller speed, than would a larger pump with appropriately sized impeller be better?
    This is the bottom line...since interior surface area and friction losses are a major part of jet pump design. And dual pumps will certainly have more interior surface than a single larger pump.
    But far be it from me to discourage any new approach in pump design...there's far too few to begin with. And I certainly don't know as much as those doing the designing.
    Just wanted to voice my concern. So take my post for what it's worth.
    jer

ultimate1
    Originally posted by LVjetboy:
    Hi Ultimate1,
    I love the idea of new stuff, creativity and novel pump designs. But my question is...would a dual pump be more efficient than a single larger pump? If you have the hp to drive the dual pump to efficient impeller speed, than would a larger pump with appropriately sized impeller be better?
    This is the bottom line...since interior surface area and friction losses are a major part of jet pump design. And dual pumps will certainly have more interior surface than a single larger pump.
    But far be it from me to discourage any new approach in pump design...there's far too few to begin with. And I certainly don't know as much as those doing the designing.
    Just wanted to voice my concern. So take my post for what it's worth.
    jer
    thanks for you thoughts my boat is a 21 ft ultimate the pump was redone and works fine and dosen"t seem to have any problems. What I don't like is when i ski i have to drag which isn't as easy as it was for me lets say 10 years ago. However when i talked to dual drive systems the ultra they have is the same hull as mine. They said the hole shot is like a flat bottom and that, is what i want so i can get out of the water fast.
    [This message has been edited by ultimate1 (edited April 21, 2002).]

Kwicherbichen
    LVjetboy,
    Your question about the bigger single unit was asked once before by River Dave and no one ever really answered. I don't know if this is the correct answer but, I think the reaason for the dual drive is because it is more cost effective to tool up an intake that fits two regular existing drives than it is to tool up an entirely new pump. I'm just guessing on that though.
    With respect to Aggressor's dual drive not being at the show; The story goes something like this, Harold Bruce (R&D Marine) was working on this dual drive in cooperation with Aggressor. Apparently he was going to do the gearbox design and supposedly was the person in charge of the motor that was in the test boat. Then the boat was taken for a test spin or two without the owner or Aggressors knowledge. At that point the relationship was strained and Aggressor demanded the boat be returned. After it's return Aggressor dyno'd the hi-perf motor only to find out it was junk. As a result, the boat/drives tested out really crappy. The relationship was severed so to speak and Aggressor is commissioning Cassle (sp) of V-drive fame to build the new gear box. Additionally, the new motor is being prepped. That's the story I got in a nutshell. Also, I can't tell you how accurate the story is. I would just call Dave at Aggressor. He can tell you where they are with production & he could probably give you the true beef on the history between them and R&D.
    Aggressor (888) 246-5075

jroos
    See R&D Marine`s article in May `02 Hot Boat. I believe that it will be another season or 2 before the bugs are out. 5 years from tweeking this unit to its full potential.
    I don`t see the bang for buck on performance over the single larger unit. With one shared intake? And the size of the intake?
    What will put out a fire quicker? One firehose or 2 smaller hoses using the same water source just tee-d off?
    Do you get more sound from 1 speker per channel or 2 speakers per channel?
    Technology is great, don`t let advertising fool you into thinking it is better than reality.
    [This message has been edited by jroos (edited April 21, 2002).]

ultimate1
    Originally posted by jroos:
    See R&D Marine`s article in May `02 Hot Boat. I believe that it will be another season or 2 before the bugs are out. 5 years from tweeking this unit to its full potential.
    I don`t see the bang for buck on performance over the single larger unit. With one shared intake? And the size of the intake?
    What will put out a fire quicker? One firehose or 2 smaller hoses using the same water source just tee-d off?
    Do you get more sound from 1 speker per channel or 2 speakers per channel?
    Technology is great, don`t let advertising fool you into thinking it is better than reality.
    [This message has been edited by jroos (edited April 21, 2002).]
    Well from what I saw you could use 2 standard pumps so you would think that 2 pumps are still better than 1 sure you are taking water from a bigger intake. But you should use less rpm to go the same speed and if you put more horse power you will go faster. But what i really want is more of a hole shot so I can ski. I don't really want to put more into the motor and sacrafice reliability. Since the boat is truley a turnkey boat. thanks for your input.

ultimate1
    Originally posted by Kwicherbichen:
    LVjetboy,
    Your question about the bigger single unit was asked once before by River Dave and no one ever really answered. I don't know if this is the correct answer but, I think the reaason for the dual drive is because it is more cost effective to tool up an intake that fits two regular existing drives than it is to tool up an entirely new pump. I'm just guessing on that though.
    With respect to Aggressor's dual drive not being at the show; The story goes something like this, Harold Bruce (R&D Marine) was working on this dual drive in cooperation with Aggressor. Apparently he was going to do the gearbox design and supposedly was the person in charge of the motor that was in the test boat. Then the boat was taken for a test spin or two without the owner or Aggressors knowledge. At that point the relationship was strained and Aggressor demanded the boat be returned. After it's return Aggressor dyno'd the hi-perf motor only to find out it was junk. As a result, the boat/drives tested out really crappy. The relationship was severed so to speak and Aggressor is commissioning Cassle (sp) of V-drive fame to build the new gear box. Additionally, the new motor is being prepped. That's the story I got in a nutshell. Also, I can't tell you how accurate the story is. I would just call Dave at Aggressor. He can tell you where they are with production & he could probably give you the true beef on the history between them and R&D.
    Aggressor (888) 246-5075
    Well I don't really care about the relationship between R&D marine and agressor. All I want is to find the best gearbox. The gearbox I saw from R&D taking to the guy who made the gearbox apparently makes parts for the military and aviation fields and everybody should know that they work with real tight tolerances. But anyway I owe it to myself to see what agressor has to offer. just my thoughts and thanks for yours.
    [This message has been edited by ultimate1 (edited April 21, 2002).]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast