Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why run air scoop backwards?

MoJetBoPar
    Good topic.
    I always heard it was to avoid the water ingestion as mentioned and it would deter some induction noise from the passenger compartment as a side affect.
    As long as we're on the topic of flame arrestors........
    Would the screen that is on the Mr.Gasket scoop (Hilborn style) pass with the authorities as a legal flame arrestor?

HBjet
    A buddy of mine was running one flame arrestor on the front carb, and nothing on the back carb. Anyways, when is motor hicupped, a 4-5 foot flame shot out of the scoop between him and the passanger. Oh, not to mention the scoop was now bent since the front was attached and the back part wasn't. IF you have a scoop in a boat that may get water in it when driving through chop, then your boating in water too big for your boat. With the flame arrestors, I don't think a little water here and there will get by when it's a spray. Like I said before, if your boating where good amounts of water is going into the scoop, then you shouldn't be boating in those conditions with that boat. Good Luck.
    HBjet
    [This message has been edited by HBjet (edited March 23, 2002).]

wsm9808
    I turn my scoop backwards to keep bugs and gravel out while Trailering and forward on the water, but I've got a flame arrestor. Ever notice that a vacuum secondy Holley makes a cool zzzzzzip sound as the secondarys close? Never hear that sound untill I put the scoop on.
    Now, what about those guys with the ball caps on backwards? http://community.webshots.com/user/wsm9808
    [This message has been edited by wsm9808 (edited March 23, 2002).]

JEThro
    HBjet, I agree with you and almost everybody else. I love the way a scoop setup looks,I have 3 different types myself. In my opinion,they are mainly for looks. It seems to me that the vacume at the opening of the scoop is greater than the air pressure pushing into it. As for you guys talking about water intake, GET REAL! You wuold have to flip your boat to get enough water to hydrolock your motor.

spectras only
    A little water injection wouldn't hurt at all http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif. Spearco does it for you for about 300 dollars http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif.

Heatseeker
    Yea, didn't Edelbrock have a water injection set up at one time? I think it was at the begining of the unleaded age, to combat detonation.

Hollis
    I had a corvette stingray with a 454 and water injected...The theory was it helped to cool the engine and boost horse power.
    Did you ever notice how well your engine ran after a heavy down pour?

1quickjet
    JEThro, sorry bud, its real, I have a friend who sustained engine damage as a result of water in enigine, over the bow. Not hydrolock, but extensive damage none the less. HBJet, conditions don't necessarily have to be that nasty. My particular incident happened in Laughlin, usually calm. Average size water for a low-pro jet. Had a heavy load, just cruisin'. Good size set of rollers came, as I went over the first, I didn't gas it in time, and second roller came over bow. Also, the boat I spoke of was a 19" Eliminator Sprint. If you are familiar with that boat, the deck kind of slopes down to the bow, not the same as many bubbledecks and such, meaning bow tip is lower than most low-pros. Water conditions were not that bad, blame it on right place, right time and a little bit of driver error (First boat, second time out).

Infomaniac
    Flame Arrestor in a scoop? Jeez once again I am thankful to boat in Oklahoma. Keep thinking I want to bring the boat out west but they would throw me in jail as soon as I hit the water. Not only would you never see water rough enough to get water in the scoop, the lake patrol would not even consider asking about what is in the scoop. They see a boat with zoomies hanging out and keep going.

HBjet
    1quickjet, I am familiar with the Eliminator Sprint. I have an Eliminator Liberty and it is pretty low in the water too. I have a tunnel ram, and dual carbs for the scoop is higher then a single carb setup on a lower manifold. Still, I think for water to come over the bow, then over and by the passangers (2-4 lets say) and then into the scoop on a single carb motor? I'd say getting water into the intake is a lot better then sinking the boat. Anyway, maybe I'm missing something, but in choppy conditions, with a wind, I can get some spray over the bow at speed and just a spray will hit the motor and the scoop, but nothing to cause any concerns for myself. Now, lets say you have the scoop backwards, and no arrestor. I don't know about you, but when I have the nozzle door down and your giving it gas to go reverse, ever give it too much to where water splashes on the back of the motor? It has happen to me, and I imagine a scoop facing backwards without an arrestor, that would bother me more.
    Besides, facing forward just looks better, and were only out there to look good anyway.
    HBjet
    [This message has been edited by HBjet (edited March 24, 2002).]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast