Thread: Small Block/12JE

shockwaveharry
    From what I understand the Berkley 12JE is a low performance pump. Will a warm Small Block (325 hp 350 or 383) work in place of a stock 454? Obviously top speed is NOT an issue. 20' family bow rider with a deep vee. Probably 3000 lbs. Thanks!

Blown509Liberator
    I am not sure I would call it a Low Performance pump. More like Undesirable pump. The E and F pump are insert pump and said to have a proposing problem in some hulls and because of the inlet water angles. have a 1978 Baja TC day cruiser with a 502 and an F pump in it. It will run 65 mph all day in it with no problems. The E and F pump where not favored because the difficulty to add a shoe to but from what I understand there is a company building a shoe/ ride plate set up for these pumps.

shockwaveharry
    Unfortunatly I'm stuck with using this pump. I'm just wondering if a small block will spin the pump. I've been in small block jets that performed decently, one was a Jacuzzi, the other an OMC, but the boats were smaller. In a performance application I wouldn't even consider a small block but in this particular instance I would think a small block could easily be built to the same power level as a STOCK low perf. big block and use less gas too. Opinions?

shockwaveharry
    Isn't the JE pump generally smaller than the others? Smaller intake, smaller dia. impeller?

rivercrazy
    It takes torque at mid level rpms to turn a decent sized impeller. A small block usually doesn't have the torque to pull an A or A/B impeller in a boat this heavy. As a result, you will need to install a smaller impeller and the engine will turn a lot of rpms at crusing speeds. I'd go with a big block

Blown509Liberator
    The E and F (an E with Berkely Trim nozzle) are the same "size" as the C and G pump's
    [This message has been edited by Blown509Liberator (edited November 15, 2001).]

jim lee
    I bet it would work fine!
    But that's just MHO
    -jim lee