Thread: 1977 jet restore

460aquajet
    I'm restoring a 1977 jet boat with a 460 ford
    stock intake. Thinking of using a edelbrock torker II. Has Holley 650 D.P. Any suggestions?

FoMoCo
    A 650 will be a bit small. What kind of boat is it? What do you want to do with it? SKI/Race both? Are you going to modify the engine, heads, cam, ETC..?

460aquajet
    Thanks for the reply.
    It's a 18' Aquajet-Sportster. from what i understand it was a small manufacture in Texas. Solid hull. Has been sitting for 10 years. Changed the oil, put a battery on it, put gas in carb. fired right up. I'm completely stripping down. repainting, reupolster. Pulling engine to clean up and paint. I believe the motor is a stock Hardin Marine 460 320 h.p. I think the cam is stock, but bored .40 over. The guy i got it from could not remember. I thought the carb. was to small. Was thinking about 750. Going to use for pleasure/ skiing. Nothing to radical first go round. Thanks again for the input.

HYDROMOBILE
    I would use a stealth manifold and a 850 dp holly, standard carb on that motor was a 750 cfm. Jim Brock

greg shoemaker
    Check the cam specs. the stock cam is 8degrees retarted to meet smog regs. with an early model timing chain and installing it straight up will give you about 40 hp Greg

Pit_o_Money
    Aqua, I have that exact setup (460, Torker II and 750 Edel) Good running, lots of bottom end and I get about 4300 rpm out of it. This is in a bigger boat than you have so I believe you should be able to get some more RPM's out of it. It was running a 650 when I bought it and it is too small. I went to the 750 and couldn't believe the difference. Bottom and top end.
    DJ

460aquajet
    Thanks ya'all for the input. Helps alot, first time around, good to get advise from someone who's been there.

foolish pleasure
    i agree with hydromobile,i have a 468 in a 78 avenger,the fastest avenger in the 1/4 mile in the southren us if not the whole country,i have a single 850,and i use a 150 nos shot,i run a cosistent 83 to 85 mph.in the low 12 sec bracket,you do not want to over power your boat.

lakecrazy
    Go with the 850 Holley, I run the 850 with a Torker II on my 460. Just got the carb back from Bigs Performance. They did a complete stage 5 rebuild on it and I'm eager to try it out when the weather gets warm.
    The work they do at Bigs is awesome!!
    You can find them on E-bay, just do a search on Bigs Holley and you are there!