Thread: 455 jet cam choice?

Q-ball
    I have a 18' jet boat with a 455 olds, HEI, Torker intake, 750 cfm Holley vac. secondarys,O.T. headers, and a stock cam!!! Could use some advice on which cam I should be running in this boat. I use the boat for general fun, water skiing, and the ocasional freindly race. The motor has very few hours on it, comp. ratio is probobly 9:1. Thanks for any advice.

OneBadScorpion
    I have a 75 taylor SS 455 Olds too.
    Email Duane Oblander at this link and ask him to give ya a Stage 2 or Stage 3 which he has his own custom grind. I've used his cams for years in my taylor and don't have any complaints and my son uses a similar cam in his Taylor SJ 403.
    sales@hi-techperformance.com , doblander@hi-techperformance.com

sleek
    I REBUILT OLDS LAST YEAR AND I USED A COMP. CAM. I USED THEIR CAM HELP LINE. THEY WERE VERY HELPFULL. I BOUGHT A CUSTOM CAM THAT IS 234DURATION @50 WITH 545 LIFT. THE CAM WORKS WONDERFULL AND SOUNDS GOOD TO. IT IDLES AROUND 800 WITH A GOOD AMOUNT OF CHOP TO IT. I DONT HAVE OTH HEADERS YET BUT THEY ARE ON THE WAY. I AM SURE IT WOULD WORK GREAT WITH THEM. IF YOU WANT A COPY OF THE CAM CARD SPECS. EMAIL ME AT DRAGRCR1005@HOTMAIL.COM. HOPE THAT HELPS!

sleek
    WHAT BRAND OF HEADERS ARE USING? I AM IN THE MARKET FOR A SET AND I AM HAVING TROUBLE DECIDING IN A BRAND. BASSETT VS. REWARDER DRAGRCR1005@HOTMAIL.COM.
    [This message has been edited by sleek (edited February 17, 2002).]

Q-ball
    sleek, I just bought a set of used Rewarders last week so I haven't had a chance to try them yet. The only difference I've read about is that the T-Valve on the Bassetts is said to be superior by some people, and one guy told me he liked the way the Bassetts sounded compared to the Rewarders. With the lift of your cam did you have to do any machine work th the heads? Oh yea, my buddies boat is parked right next to mine and he has Bassetts, just by looking at them there really is no difference that I can see.

Taylorman
    Bassett Twisty's are real nice. I also have a 76 Taylor SJ with Bassetts. They are great. It takes a little tinkering with the T valve to get to open up at the right rpm but it works great. Im in the market for a dual carb setup. I just ordered a dual carb top for my Offy tunnel ram today from Summit Racing. Any ideas on carb choice.

sleek
    Q-BALL, I DID NOT HAVE TO DO ANY MACHINE WORK TO THE HEAD. I DID HAVE TO SWITCH TO ADJUSTABLE VALVE TRAIN TO RUN A CAM OVER 510 LIFT. THE KIT TO SWITCH FROM NON ADJUSTABLE TO ADJUSTABLE IS AVAILABLE FROM COMP CAM. YOU SHOULD GET A CAM KIT WHEN YOU DECIDE TO DO IT SO YOU CAN MAKE SURE THAT THE VALVE SPRINGS ARE CORRECT FOR THE CAM LIFT. THE VALVE TRAIN KIT COMES WITH ROLLER TIP ROCKERS, SCREW-IN STUDS, NUTS, AND GUIDE PLATES AND IS AROUND $350....

Q-ball
    Thanks sleek, I'll give them a call!