Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS-400 on Fire

boatguy222
    There are a couple of pretty good pictures over a boatracingfacts.com, of the SS-400 on fire at Lawrence lake last weekend. Maybe some of you guys might want to rethink your Capsules. :jawdrop:

gnRacer98
    I've always felt the rear and side bulkheads should be sealed to the floor to prevent burning fluids from entering the safe zone, the addition of an auto fire extinguisher would be a good idea. It appears the capsule allowed him the extra few seconds to stop the boat and make a controlled exit. Beats the hell out of having to jump at 90-100mph cause your backsides are in flames. Word is Villwock was on a SS record pace when the header ignited a breather hose. Pics posted here http://community.webshots.com/album/346613449ENwEhH

Terminal Velocity
    Glad Dave is OK, fire is a scary thing luckily we have lots of water with which to put ourselves out with. Wonder what kind of layered suit he is wearing?
    But shouldn't his helmet be orange or yellow? Looks white to me. And as for bailing out at 90+, i think a well executed one pin turn (safely of course with regard to other boats around me) and i could stop and be in the water before he made it to the water. But then again i haven't been in quite that same situation so i don't know.
    What does the 126 camp have to offer for fire exit strategies they've been deep fried before.

126driver
    What does the 126 camp have to offer for fire exit strategies they've been deep fried before.
    A guy catches fire, oh, three times and everyone has a joke about it. :notam:

Terminal Velocity
    A guy catches fire, oh, three times and everyone has a joke about it. :notam:
    Hey there little buddy. I thought that might get you out. LOL :lightsabe

delusional502
    Well they say if you build a man a fire you'll only keep him warm overnight.
    But if you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

72 superlite
    Glad Dave is OK, fire is a scary thing luckily we have lots of water with which to put ourselves out with. Wonder what kind of layered suit he is wearing?
    But shouldn't his helmet be orange or yellow? Looks white to me. And as for bailing out at 90+, i think a well executed one pin turn (safely of course with regard to other boats around me) and i could stop and be in the water before he made it to the water. But then again i haven't been in quite that same situation so i don't know.
    He was wearing his Miss Budweiser suit, he walked to the ambulance and it appeared he was treated at the scene and was back working on the boat a half hour or so later.

72 superlite
    The ss 400 boat has a hydro style skid fin mounted to the side of the boat, at about mid boat. Does anyone else use one on a flat? Also ,are onboard firesystems (like a funny car would have) required for capsule boats, and if no, how come?

mcfrance
    The fire was not in the capsule, it was in the engine compartment behind it. There is/was an aerodynamic cone partially covering the engine, which is where the fire was. Dave got burned because when he exited the capsule, the fire was right there behind him, so there was no way to avoid the flames. A fire system in the capsule would not have helped, although, a fire system under the cone would have put fire, apparently caused by oil fumes igniting when the breather hose failed, out.

72 superlite
    I was just thinking that a fire system with nozzles aimed at the engine and fuel system, should be required in a capsule boat, just because of the time it takes the driver to get out, let alone grab a fire extingusher. The capsule guys seem to be in radio contact with a spotter, who could tell them to hit the system in the event of flame. This could be done while the boat is still moving and the driver is working on getting out. I was aware that the fire wasn't in the capsule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast