Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nose cone installer recommendation?

Robbie Racer
    Can anyone recommend a good nose cone installer? I want to try a IMCO nose cone on a new Bravo lower to use as my spare lower drive unit. I can't get my boat on plane with my Bravo lower with the WPM nose cone with 32 and higher pitch props but have no problem with my IMCO lower unit.
    Thanks,
    RR

NICE PAIR
    Hey Robbie, Call Titus @ Custom Marine & Welding 1-256-272-0500. I just had my sportmasters modified & coned, EXCELLENT work. If He will do Your lower, Ask him about modifying the cav plate like he does the sportmaster. (Helps to get on plane).

BLOWN HOWARD
    Mike at Prime Marine did mine nice work!!! 909-484-8338

stoker2001
    Hey Robbie, Call Titus @ Custom Marine & Welding 1-256-272-0500. I just had my sportmasters modified & coned, EXCELLENT work. If He will do Your lower, Ask him about modifying the cav plate like he does the sportmaster. (Helps to get on plane).ditto on titus,another one i have done bis with is www.bobsmachine.com in florida.it is a long way to ship your lower unit,but the quality/price cannot be beat.they even gaurantee paint for one year!nose cone placement (vertical)can vary from application so you need to do your homework.Titus is the man,but a little pricey.just my $.02

Robbie Racer
    GREAT information. Thanks a bunch guys. I will start making some phone calls.
    RR

Jrocket
    Whats it do RR,just blow out or what?Too much drag?

Robbie Racer
    Whats it do RR,just blow out or what?Too much drag?
    With the Bravo/WPM nose cone combination it starts to get on plane just fine with 32 and 34 pitch props, but just as the nose starts to drop down, it blows out the prop and won't grab again until the boat almost comes to a stop. I can't figure out why it does it with that combination and not the IMCO SC lower because I think they are both the stardard height lower drives. I'm going to double check that again though to make sure.

stoker2001
    the imco has got to have a lower X dimension if ussing the same prop?when bow drops down on initial takeoff is when cavitation is most likely to occure with high Xdimensions.anything is possible,but never heard of cone causing this prob i would have the leading edges of your prop rolled slightly,but not to much as topend will start to suffer. keith i can reccomend a kick ass prop guy here in sac,especially with bravo1 four blades.Gary peeler at tru-pitch propeller 916-397-1126.he has been in boat business for 30+ years.good luck

Robbie Racer
    If the IMCO lower does have a lower X-Dimension, that would make sense. I actually didn't measure it myself and just took the guys word that it was a "standard" length lower unit when I bought the Bravo/WPM deal. I did send my 34 lab prop down to Throttle Up in Houston last year because it was cavitating a little when getting on plane even with the IMCO lower. They rolled the ears like you are talking about and it did help a lot when getting it on plane with the IMCO lower but is still a problem with the Bravo/WPM set up. I will just switch back to the IMCO lower and the problem should be solved. IF the Bravo lower is a shorty, that would cause the cavitation and I will try and sell it to someone that can use it.
    Thanks for the contact information for Gary. I will give him a try the next time that I need some prop work done.
    Keith

Robbie Racer
    the imco has got to have a lower X dimension if ussing the same prop?when bow drops down on initial takeoff is when cavitation is most likely to occure with high Xdimensions.anything is possible,but never heard of cone causing this prob i would have the leading edges of your prop rolled slightly,but not to much as topend will start to suffer. keith i can reccomend a kick ass prop guy here in sac,especially with bravo1 four blades.Gary peeler at tru-pitch propeller 916-397-1126.he has been in boat business for 30+ years.good luck
    Glen swapped out my Bravo/WPM lower (broke prop shaft and trashed lower gears) to my IMCO lower today. He measured the X-dimension on both and says they are within 1/8" of each other so don't know why one blows out with high pitch props and the other one does not. I didn't have that problem until I put the nose cone on the Bravo lower. With the stock Bravo lower it wasn't a problem. I will get the IMCO nose cone installed on my other stock Bravo lower housing and swap all the B-Max guts from the Bravo/WPM lower to this one and see how it performs. Weird stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast