Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nose cone installer recommendation?

plaster dave
    Glen swapped out my Bravo/WPM lower (broke prop shaft and trashed lower gears) to my IMCO lower today. He measured the X-dimension on both and says they are within 1/8" of each other so don't know why one blows out with high pitch props and the other one does not. I didn't have that problem until I put the nose cone on the Bravo lower. With the stock Bravo lower it wasn't a problem. I will get the IMCO nose cone installed on my other stock Bravo lower housing and swap all the B-Max guts from the Bravo/WPM lower to this one and see how it performs. Weird stuff.
    Man sorry to hear all this bs happened to you, I was going to put the one on my drive but maybe I will let teague do it so I dont have to go throught all that bs. Please keep us posted on what happens.

stoker2001
    Keith,are the low water pickup inlets below the point of cone on both cases?same amount and shape?you tested both cases ussing same prop?you going to red bluff,if so stop by

Robbie Racer
    Okay, I called Titus at Custom Marine, Mike at Prime Marine and Bob at Bob's Machine about installing the Imco nose cone on my Bravo lower. Bob said he only installs his own nose cones and won't do the Imco. Titus says he hasn't installed a Imco nose cone but doesn't think it will be a problem. (I forgot to ask for an estimate). Mike at Prime says he should also be able to install the Imco nose cone and gave me an estimated price of $650 to $750 (including the $86 nose cone and other incidental misc. parts). That seems a little pricey to me but I don't remember what I paid several years ago to have the WPM nose cone installed. What do you guys think?
    Thanks again, RR
    ps: Kevin, the low water pick up in the Imco lower is only used to cool the drive. I use through hull pickups for the motor cooling and innercooler cooling. The Bravo/WPM lower has the low water pickup closed off and has a small external water pickup installed in the cav plate to cool the drive. All tests were run using the same 32 lab and 34 lab props between the two different lower units.
    I won't be making it to the Red Bluff race this year. Good luck and kick some butt in the 10 second bracket class. :hammer2:

stoker2001
    Okay, I called Titus at Custom Marine, Mike at Prime Marine and Bob at Bob's Machine about installing the Imco nose cone on my Bravo lower. Bob said he only installs his own nose cones and won't do the Imco. Titus says he hasn't installed a Imco nose cone but doesn't think it will be a problem. (I forgot to ask for an estimate). Mike at Prime says he should also be able to install the Imco nose cone and gave me an estimated price of $650 to $750 (including the $86 nose cone and other incidental misc. parts). That seems a little pricey to me but I don't remember what I paid several years ago to have the WPM nose cone installed. What do you guys think?
    Thanks again, RR
    ps: Kevin, the low water pick up in the Imco lower is only used to cool the drive. I use through hull pickups for the motor cooling and innercooler cooling. The Bravo/WPM lower has the low water pickup closed off and has a small external water pickup installed in the cav plate to cool the drive. All tests were run using the same 32 lab and 34 lab props between the two different lower units.
    I won't be making it to the Red Bluff race this year. Good luck and kick some butt in the 10 second bracket class. :hammer2:keith,you might try gary at tru pitch about doing cone.he might decline as he is real busy and doesnt specialize in that type of work,but i seen an alpha drive he conned for his son years ago and it was flawless!!good luck and see you at cat attack

Robbie Racer
    Thanks Kevin. I will give Gary a call to see if he is interested.
    How did you do at Red Bluff this past weekend? I saw your other post about it getting blown out on Saturday but someone said the weather was good on Sunday.
    RR

stoker2001
    Thanks Kevin. I will give Gary a call to see if he is interested.
    How did you do at Red Bluff this past weekend? I saw your other post about it getting blown out on Saturday but someone said the weather was good on Sunday.
    RRsee post in outboards (klotx oil):cry:

Robbie Racer
    Kevin, sorry to hear about the red light at the races. That has to be frustrating for you not to be able to run your motor to warm it up real good like the car motor guys to do in the pits. I still don't understand why you are not able to warm it up in the pits though. Does your prop have to be turning to force cooling water through the motor? Or, do you need higher pressure than you can get from a bucket and pump to force it through the motor?
    I called Gary at Tru-Pitch this morning. As you suspected, he is much too busy to get to it until this winter. I think I will just replace the broken prop shaft in my existing Bravo/WPM lower spare and keep it as my spare and just not run high pitch props when I have that lower unit on it. I am reluctant to spend $750 to put a Imco nose cone on my other Bravo lower and then find out it didn't work any better than the Bravo/WPM combination. :cry:
    Keith

stoker2001
    Kevin, sorry to hear about the red light at the races. That has to be frustrating for you not to be able to run your motor to warm it up real good like the car motor guys to do in the pits. I still don't understand why you are not able to warm it up in the pits though. Does your prop have to be turning to force cooling water through the motor? Or, do you need higher pressure than you can get from a bucket and pump to force it through the motor?
    I called Gary at Tru-Pitch this morning. As you suspected, he is much too busy to get to it until this winter. I think I will just replace the broken prop shaft in my existing Bravo/WPM lower spare and keep it as my spare and just not run high pitch props when I have that lower unit on it. I am reluctant to spend $750 to put a Imco nose cone on my other Bravo lower and then find out it didn't work any better than the Bravo/WPM combination. :cry:
    Keiththese motors have all aluminum bores with a thin coating (.010)of nicom/nicasel which works real good at disapating heat off piston and will never cold sieze even if you hammer it from being dead cold.so getting heat in motor is not a real issue as two strokes get there lub from gas/oil mix.these motors also dont have thermostats and only run about 20 degrees warmer then lake water.the digital EFI is kinda crude as there is no O2 sensor or throttle position sensor,just a vacumm assisted map sensor and air temp sensor.you actually take a chance of fouling plugs if you rev motor with no load on it as map sensor sees low vacumm when you crack throttle plates and tells ecu to go full rich.at next race i will try hotter spark plug to see if that helps.you going to chowchiila on fathers day weekend?

Robbie Racer
    I'm going to try and get out to Chowchilla for a little spectating on Sunday. Hope to see you there (and at Shasta the weekend prior to that).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12