Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 60 HP With Muffler and Intake?

goneboatin
    I talked to Lyndon at Wester's Garage about some changes to my computer tune and he told me he has a remote location in So Cal. He gave me the number and I called them up. The guy told me of a muffler called an Aero Turbine muffler combined with an AFE intake netted 60 rear wheel horsepower on an 8.1! That's right 60 hp. I find that hard to believe.
    I checked out Aero-Turbine on their website and it shows a jet engine looking muffler that claims to reduce backpressure. In fact, it says it works like an expansion chamber creating a vacuum. It all sounds good, but isn't too little backpressure bad for low end? The sound clips sound kind of flatulant.
    I was wondering if anyone on the boards has any experience with this muffler.
    Aero Turbine (http://www.aero-turbine.com)

slingingsmoke
    If you get hedders, full exhaust, AFE PG7 intake (stage 2 if they have it), and a chip, then MAYBE you can get 60 hp at the flywheel (not rear wheel HP) out of the 8.1
    There are quite a few guys that run the Aero turbine mufflers on their diesel trucks on TDS or oilburners.net. I'm not going to bother with any muffler or CAT convrter soon anyway. For a diesel, straight pipe is the cheapest way to get your EGT's down. However for a Gasser, straight pipe will hurt bottom end due to the fact that gassers need backpressure. Hope this helps.
    Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see!
    Good luck, JON.

goneboatin
    For a gasser this sounded too good to be true. I was curious if anyone has run these mufflers on their truck. Good, bad, POS, too loud, too quiet????

ADDICTED
    There is a chance you can sometimes see a peak horsepower increase in the 40 area. But I am sure there wasn't any and maybe loss of lower end torque. Alot of the numbers you see these companys claiming is peak horse power. What about the power we are actually going to use. 1800 3600RPM?

slingingsmoke
    If you need more power, trade up to a Powerstroke or a D-Max. That should take care of all your problems (except for the new monthly payment )

goneboatin
    If you need more power, trade up to a Powerstroke or a D-Max. That should take care of all your problems (except for the new monthly payment )
    I had a D-Max ordered for my truck, but I got frustrated trying to back the boat into my storage spot, (I had to jack knife it in). I called to see if I could still make changes and that I wanted the Quadrasteer. Can't get the D-Max and Q-steer together, so I went with the Q-steer. Love the turing radius and maneuverability, but needs more power.

BowTie Rick
    Nice gain across the powerband, peak HP is noted. Best of all, its CARB legal, the AFE is not. K&N for the 8.1L (http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/57-3030.jpg) Stay away from the AFE ProGuard 7, it is not 100% cleanable and it will eventually clog up and collapse. No way in hell is 60 HP possible from bolt-ons.

don johnson
    I talked to Lyndon at Wester's Garage about some changes to my computer tune and he told me he has a remote location in So Cal. He gave me the number and I called them up. The guy told me of a muffler called an Aero Turbine muffler combined with an AFE intake netted 60 rear wheel horsepower on an 8.1! That's right 60 hp. I find that hard to believe.
    I checked out Aero-Turbine on their website and it shows a jet engine looking muffler that claims to reduce backpressure. In fact, it says it works like an expansion chamber creating a vacuum. It all sounds good, but isn't too little backpressure bad for low end? The sound clips sound kind of flatulant.
    I went thru the whole 8.1L bolt on deal 4 months ago and chassis dyno tested each mod. Below were my findings;
    Test- 2005 Suburban 4 x 4 8.1L
    Stock= 262 HP and 386 ft lbs torque at the rear tires
    Added Gibson Shorty headers and cat back= 14 HP and 27 Ft lbs of torque increase
    Added Volant Cold Air Induction= 6 HP and 9 ft lbs torque increase
    Added Westers tuned computer= 56 HP and 63 ft lbs of torque increase
    In total picked up 76 HP and 99 Ft Lbs which maxed at 338 HP and 485 Ft lbs at the rear tires. Chassis dyno was done at Superior.
    The Westers tune was by far the biggest add on. Lyndon Westers custom programmed my computer in 4 days and the tune was set up to compliment the headers and cold air. A huge plus of the Westers is the reprogramming reduces the torque management and removes the speed limiter.
    The Westers tune was a huge improvement. The car passes with ease without downshifting now and is simply a lot more fun to drive. It drives like an 496 CI motor should now!
    For the hell of it I also dyno'ed an Hypertech handheld reprogrammer to compare a handheld/ flash reprogrammer to the Westers custom tune and can tell you that the Hypertech sucks by comparison! The Hypertech did pick up 17 HP and 24 ft lbs of torque. However, not even close to the Westers... Both tunes were set to run on 91 octane.
    After 4 months of driving I am averaging almost 2 MPG improvement with these mod's.
    Hope this helps!

slingingsmoke
    Stay away from the AFE ProGuard 7, it is not 100% cleanable and it will eventually clog up and collapse..
    I suppose K&N gave you this info....WHATEVER
    Believe me, The only filter you want to use, and that will filter as good as stock is the AFE PG-7 intake. K&N style filters only use 4 layers of cotton (if you hold it up to the light you can see through it) AFE uses minimum 5 and max of 7 (PG-7) layers of gauze. It is the ONLY filter proven to stop as much dirt as a stock filter.
    THERE IS NO FILTER THAT WILL FILTER BETTER THAN OEM! The closest thing you can get is the PG-7
    If you want proof, I can E-mail you pics of guy's Turbos whose vanes have been damaged due to too much dirt and caca passing through their K&N filter.
    ....next....Oh yeah Rick, Where do you work??? :hammer2: :shift:
    JON
    P.S. I Love the Avatar

Norseman
    I find the claim of 60 RW HP a little extreme. Maybe they were running 3/4 throttle in the before the muffler change dyno run..... :jawdrop:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast