Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matching a jacuzzi impeller to motor ?

justaddfuel
    After looking through this forum for quite a while, there's obviously alot of talented people on this board. I enjoy reading every bit of it. My question is about the best engine for a jacuzzi 12wj with a B impeller (think it's a 'B' cause of the impeller diameter, for the part # cast into it sure doesn't match up to the jacuzzi parts list at Northern Marine.) It's gotta be Chevy, but I'm wondering what RPM and HP I should reach for to use the impeller I've got. I want it all, but I think reliablity wins in the end. The boats a very shallow v, 16' loa, and the cockpit has lots of room thanks to a slightly short deck. I was thinking bb, but maybe a small block 383 would work. Whadayou guys think?
    thanks.

Zeug
    After looking through this forum for quite a while, there's obviously alot of talented people on this board. I enjoy reading every bit of it. My question is about the best engine for a jacuzzi 12wj with a B impeller (think it's a 'B' cause of the impeller diameter, for the part # cast into it sure doesn't match up to the jacuzzi parts list at Northern Marine.) It's gotta be Chevy, but I'm wondering what RPM and HP I should reach for to use the impeller I've got. I want it all, but I think reliablity wins in the end. The boats a very shallow v, 16' loa, and the cockpit has lots of room thanks to a slightly short deck. I was thinking bb, but maybe a small block 383 would work. Whadayou guys think?
    thanks.
    After talking to Jack at MPD about my WJ with a B impeller i found out it the Jacuzzi B is close to a Berk A. The berk charts will help you place the HP to Impeller. My healthy 455 with dual 660s turns an MPD prepped WJ B to about 5200 RPMs.
    Sorry I dont have the chart handy but im sure someone will chime in with it.
    Kent

SmokinLowriderSS
    On berk "A", that would entail about 450 HP Zeug. About 380 HP to turn a "B" that fast (I have the chart here :wink: ) For 26 years, my Taylor (dads) has been running a 454, Berk "A", rated at 330HP at 4850 RPM stock and 5200 on Nitrous. I just uprated her with a stouter cam/valvetrain and Performer RPM Air Gap manifold (kept the under-carb N2O) this past spring. She used to run 72mph stock (gassed). I'm still breaking her in.
    Justaddfuel, my preferences go for the BBChevy for muscle, although the big Olds will do a good job as well if properly put together. It sure takes more work to spin one that fast on a jet pump though, and survive it. In my opinion, to get the torque & HP to spin a jet drive enough to go fast, you'll have to push a small block awfully hard, or a big block relatively mildly. The other issue with higher speeds is the drive. The Jacuzzis do a good job skiing and cruizing arround but don't flow well enough to keep up with Berks, Legends, Dominators, etc. Different internal flow designs. There is a kit that upgrades them, but it is expensive and replaces everything EXCEPT the suction piece.
    http://www.americanturbine.com/products/jets/JAC_WJ.htm
    If you want to go much over 60 or so in the future (who doesn't :wink: ) I'd keep that thought in my mind and prep for an eventual pump change. A complete replacement can be had for the same or sometimes less than an Energiser Kit for a Jac.
    There's my $.02 worth.
    Oh yea, there are some fast BB Fords too, he just said he had to be a Chevy man. :hammerhea :wink:

BrendellaJet
    The flow problems of the WJ are easily solved. If you are interested in going fast talk to Jack at MPD about your pump before deciding on replacing your pump entirely or investing in an energizer kit...

Zeug
    Yep, Jack did say CLOSE to a Berk A. Not exactly the same as a Berk A. :messedup:
    The previouse owner said he was turning around 5K RPMs. I turned about 5200 last time I was down closer to sea level. Its hard to tell now as I am up at 4000'. I had a few nicks and am working on installing another MPD B cut now with a new wear ring. Well see where we are at then. I would like to be below 5K RPM with the Olds due to the Oiling deal.
    My Motor is pretty healthy with a fairly big Clay Smith Cam and OT headers. Heads have had a little port work done too. The dual center squirters love to drink the fuel. Comp is 11:1. Running 91 with a little 110 mixed for insurance.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Quite a stout rig there zerg. I'm just running 8.5 on pump-gas (usually premium though due to the risk of me throwing the gas on at any time hahaha). My single 700CFM 4150 Holley can empty a tank in a hurry too.
    DuaneHTP & I colaborated on her rebuild, mostly cam kit selection and folow-on advice. I wound up replacing the entire valvetrain (except the valves). I lucked into the large oval port open chambered heads (123cc), the small chevy valves (2.02In/1.90Ex), a .565" lift cam, Isky superlifters, 135lb springs, bought the longer-slot factory rockers, upgraded to 3/8" pushrods, upgraded the 3/8 rod bolts to ARP wave-locks, ditched the 50 pounds of cast iron on top for a Edelbrock Performer 2 RPM Air Gap, and tossed the flame supressor for a filter/arrestor from K&N. My heads are unported and I am still blowing out through my old logs (for this year, Lightnings next winter $$$$$$$) . I haven't been able to open her wide yet (still breaking her in) but she sure wants to wind up easier than she used to. The waiting is pure HECK! If I can make 400HP, I should see 5,000 without Nitrous, maybe 5400 to 5500 with it. :2purples:

Jake W2
    LowriderSS what kind of Taylor do you have SJ SS LP SSD ?
    Jake

justaddfuel
    Ok...I'm going for 400hp @5000rpm. That should be a snap for the 454. If that gets me low 60's I'll be happy. There seems to be an abundance of cotton-heads on my lake who'd probably call the cops if startled,(or not eating enough bran!), so I'll TRY to keep it respectable!
    Brendellajet, I just may look into doin some mods to the pump. It'd be a shame to junk it, it's like new, and has a place diverter on it.
    Thanks, you guys.

SmokinLowriderSS
    She's a Taylor SS, 18'6", Red jewel flake with silver jewel flake accents and silver interior:
    http://p208.ezboard.com/fthetaylorbo...ssage?topicID= 57.topic
    She was purchased by dad in 1978 off the showroom floor, Enid Ok. Winter of '78-79, dad took it to DuaneHTP and had him tune the pump and somebody installed the Marvin Miller N2O) system under the Holley (my $$$ is on Duane even though it was not beyond dad's skills). According to dad, she radared at 72mph on the Nitrous through a Berk "F" pump. Never found a lake wacker to beat us, oh sooo many bassmaster's tried tho. Lotsa jets tried too.

Jake W2
    Lowrider that is a good looking SS.I use to see quite a few of thoes where I boat but not so much any more.There is a guy that has one down the river sits on a lift only seen it in the water 2 times in 5 years.Where did the name lowrider come from?
    I had a Sidewinder SS same windshield it was a good old boat I bought it while trying to find a Taylor SS and had no luck but all ways wished it was a Taylor SS.
    Jake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast