Thread: 460 exhaust questions

AntRant
    I need to pick some of you 460 owners brains this winter.... I'm in the process of buying a 79' Glastron GVX20 (first boat). Being that this is an enclosed engine w/ exaust going through transem is it possable to run headers or do i have to run a manifold? Aluminum? What does water jacketed mean? Who's good? Is ther exhaust for torque or horsepower?(price is important) Thanks...

rstover1
    DO NOT run headers on that boat it will melt the turtle shell looking transom cover you can check www.cpperformance.com (http://www.cpperformance.com) for log type exaust or a center rise manifold the only problem with that on your boat is plumbing to the transom. Where the exaust exits on that boat (between the swim steps its tough to fit anything but log exaust.. if you have any other questions feel free to ask my brother and father have cvx 20's

rstover1
    Also how much are you getting that boat for they are a great riding hull.. And pretty popular around my parts good luck

sandsucker
    antrat have a 1975 glastron cvx 21 with 460
    ford & je pump 3 years ago install a set of
    lighting water jacketed headers(not cheap)
    they are great easy to install gained 150 to
    200 rpm over bassett water injected headers.
    have bassetts for sale $250.00 plus shiping
    also have a set of log type headers for same
    price. if you have the bucks bye the lightings

flat broke
    I have to agree with the post that said DO NOT run basset H2O injected headers in an encolsed engine compartment. You could find yourself with a really hot boat that way... as in the kind that you talk to your insurance about after you watch it burn to the waterline. If you want to go with a different exhaust setup, I would look at your overall goals before swapping anything. If you are running a 350hp or so 460, swapping to a new exhaust system isn't going to give you night and day results. If you are planing to build decent power, 500hp or so, you might want to look at letting the engine breathe better. Honestly for the cost of a new exhaust setup, you could add a place diverter and some other mods that would probably be more noticible. Either way, if you go with bigger exhaust, chose something that is water jacketed. If you go with a center rise manifold, make sure the water jacket closes before the riser then uses a hose to enter the jacketing in the riser.
    Good luck,
    Chris