Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technical Question

Mid-life Crisis
    As I search the globe looking for a true k-boat hull, I'm finding that there are alot of SS boats which are of lighter weight by about 200lbs. Is it safe or "wise" to put a high horsepower motor in the lighter boat? I know that others are converting SS boats to K's but are those only the heavier boats?

GofastRacer
    A lot are using old SS boats, Wayne has one and I'm putting one together now that is light, you just don't want a potato chip boat, as long as the hull is sound and setup right you won't have any problems!..

Mid-life Crisis
    So how about in rough water conditions at speed, don't you want the extra weight?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    So how about in rough water conditions at speed, don't you want the extra weight?
    I do....

My Revenge was said to be 425 lbs. when layed up. I have added a little maybe 100 lbs. I am essentialy running a SS motor right now. I have plans for an injecter some day :notam: . Not sure if I will ever get to be in the NKRA, maybe just the NPSRA. I am going to see how the hull stands up for the next year or two :idea: :idea: , before considering a blower.

BILLY.B
    A lot are using old SS boats, Wayne has one and I'm putting one together now that is light, you just don't want a potato chip boat, as long as the hull is sound and setup right you won't have any problems!.. Wayne's hull was an SK in it's day but is a pretty beefed up hull that has some weight behind it. Mine was to weigh 700 pounds when I ordered it but it didn't turn out that way. When I had the boat at Long Beach for the show and shine and the SS races I had it weighed complete and the total weight was 1890 pounds. It was lighter then most of the SS boats which was pretty interesting to know but the boat has always been stable even when it was raced as a K. Like Art said as long as the boat is sound and not pulling the stringers loose and the kick board is still sound along with the side batton's i'd say your ok. Do you plan on racing or ????????

beaverfab
    Just for information my 1972 long deck B bost weight 795Lb. with glass in tanks. Lake boat never a race boat.

Moneypitt
    As Art and Billy have related, a "sound hull" is the most inportant part of the combination. A heavy lay up K hull that has seen too much rough water will be more likely to have problems than a "sound" SS hull. Raced boats have been used right up to the level of abuse. Most of those drivers will not even think about backing out due to water conditions during a race. Whereas a pleasure boater has the option of slowing down, or avoiding water conditions that really take a toll on a boat's structural integrity. Walk around a circle race pits, and look closly at the stress cracks, and "white" floors......MP

V-DRIVES RULE
    As Art and Billy have related, a "sound hull" is the most inportant part of the combination. A heavy lay up K hull that has seen too much rough water will be more likely to have problems than a "sound" SS hull. Raced boats have been used right up to the level of abuse. Most of those drivers will not even think about backing out due to water conditions during a race. Whereas a pleasure boater has the option of slowing down, or avoiding water conditions that really take a toll on a boat's structural integrity. Walk around a circle race pits, and look closly at the stress cracks, and "white" floors......MPHUH! what the F@#k!! are you an Expert on race boats? maybe you can help me: I have a 67 lavy crack, it has an olds in it and i want to break gordys Kilo record i heard your 1 hell of an engine builder from 8-5 ! i plan on showing these wanna be K guys a thing or 2!! I redid my bottom with some new home depot plywood and a staple gun its pretty damn smooth it should haul ASS! as far as weight i added some lead to the transom to help get the nose up because i plan on HAULING ASS unlike these wanabe river racers! Im figure you build the motor and i have the boat maybe well go to BURLEY and show these guys a thing or 2! Poll FAHFF and gordy better look out!!!!! Im naming the boat" THE V-DRIVE MONYPIT XPRESS"

Moneypitt
    No I'm no expert, but even I know enough to use Marine plywood, not that home depot stuff. And no we can't run Burley with your wood K/Crakerbox boat, you'll need a capsule............MP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast