Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HouseBoat tips !

LHC Kirby
    [phebus]My best tip would be to not let anyone eat beans.
    Mainly YOU Phebus. Did you get my Voice mail?
    You are invited - however with the surgery and recovery - not sure if you can make it happen.

Dr. Eagle
    I have done a few of these to Mead. Usually big trips. 40-50 people 4+ Houseboats.
    The way we did it was divide the couple up in teams. We were responsible for cooking & cleaning one dinner & breakfast for everyone. Then we were done for the rest of the trip.
    Make something for dinner you can prepare early & freeze. Spagetti sauce, ribs, etc. Lunches you were on your own.
    Everyone pitched in & all the food came out of the one budget.
    It helps to have someone really organized put the trip together. The girl that did it for us always got her trip for free. It was worth it.
    Also the best thing we ever did was bring a commercial ice macine with us. A bilge pump in the water for a supply line & all the ice chest stayed stocked.
    The most important was bringing the right group of people. It takes alot to get along for a week, when you can't get away.
    Beer is always good also, lots of beer.
    Excellent tips...
    We did the same for three weeklong trips to Shasta. Unfortunately the one 4 day trip we did we had a bunch of relatives of one of the partakers that decided they were ON VACATION and we were there to serve them. So that trip didn't work out so well. Thank god it wasn't a full week.

cdog
    Who can post my pics for me? We got back thursday...Had a great time. Thanks for the directions. I need to email someone the pics so they can post them.

Throttle
    enough already... kirby and phebus, I am ready to go, but probably in july!

INSman
    They have Big Al's Chili from the Corner Bakery Cafe, that actually comes in a sealed bag (3-4 lbs), that is the SHEAT !! get some of this for sure !!
    We did a very extensive meal plan for each meal and bought food, supplies, spices and condiments accordingly. The alcohol goes without saying, better more than not enough. The concern without doing the meal plan, is some sort of "free for all" with the food in general and then there not being something there when you need it that was part of a meal. We go Aug 10-19, maybe meet up ?
    Breakfast was probably the widest variety meal of all, with lot's of general choices. Lunches were a bit more structured and dinners were very structured. We did anchors aroung boulders as big as houses as you can see.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...94IMGP0783.jpg

CARLSON-JET
    Try to distribute the 4 pallets of beer evenley on deck.. not on one corner. Leave pets at home. unless they pay. I really like the ice machine idea.. it gets hot and ice gets to be a hassle chasing down. Whoever you go with ..LEAVE THE KOOKS AT SHORE!!! drama sucks when you are trapped with them on a boat. A compass could help navigational whoas. less is more. Everyone has really good ideas so far. I wish I had known more of what to expect.

DEEZ NUTTS
    They have Big Al's Chili from the Corner Bakery Cafe, that actually comes in a sealed bag (3-4 lbs), that is the SHEAT !! get some of this for sure !!
    We did a very extensive meal plan for each meal and bought food, supplies, spices and condiments accordingly. The alcohol goes without saying, better more than not enough. The concern withou doing the meal plan, is some sort of "free for all" with the food in general and then there not being something there when you need it that was part of a meal. We go Aug 10-19, maybe meet up ?
    Breakfast was probably the freest meal of all, with lot's of general choices. Lunches were a bit more structured and dinners were very structured.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...94IMGP0783.jpg
    Where was this beach? Little rocky.

Throttle
    I will be goin for first time tooo!
    Freezer bags of food... dry ice?
    Lots of drinks...
    cool music...
    gps...
    camera...
    what are the temps like in july?

Sanger Pete
    We found that there is never enough freezer space to keep food (meat) for the meals at the end of the week frozen. On the last trip to Shasta, we packed the frozen meat for the end of the week in a new ice chest with 10 pounds of dry ice and taped the lid shut--as air tight as possible. If you don't open the chest until there's room in the houseboat freezer, the meat will stay frozen--ours for 4 or 5 days, but I've heard it will keep the meat frozen for up to a week.
    Sanger Pete

DEEZ NUTTS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast