Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: switched jobs - what to do with 401k, IRAs, etc.

ECeptor
    actually it will be there till you are 59 1/2, unless you want to be penalized and taxed.
    This is exactly the sort of stuff I need to learn.
    Any books you can recommend I read on the subject?

Cole1313
    I have to wait 6 months before I can participate in the new companies 401k...so 4 months to go.
    As for finding a financial advisor - what are the typical fees involved? Per the recommendation of an aquaintance a few years ago I visited with a guy and his company took 5% straight off every dollar I would have invested with them...I walked away from that guy after 1 meeting.
    Usually an advisor depending where he works and the size of the account, you can usually expect to pay 1-1.5%.
    As far as good books go: find a good advisor and he will teach you. but if you want to do some reading on your own try the intelligent investor, by ben graham. Some people think it is outdated, but the basics are still there.

Supultlbich
    Usually an advisor depending where he works and the size of the account, you can usually expect to pay 1-1.5%.
    As far as good books go: find a good advisor and he will teach you. but if you want to do some reading on your own try the intelligent investor, by ben graham. Some people think it is outdated, but the basics are still there.
    That sounds about right for the commision. We have all of our accounts with TD Waterhouse, and have no complaints. I'm sure you could call them, Fidelity, Schwab, or any of the big companies. Some howver will require a minimum balance to start.
    As far as the exact fees I couldnt tell you. The money is automaticly deducted from the checking account each month, and I dont balance the check book. I will say that in the big picture It is easier to "set it and forget it" . The fees are fees, yoour going to pay them but in the long run you will come ou way ahead.
    Good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12