Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas in the oil.....?

Greaser
    Can some one please explain what could cause this?????????

victorfb
    float bowls set incorrectly for one. somehow you are having fuel escape the carb and dump into the intake and down the cylinders most likely. also dont sit in the boat while its on the trailer and dream of racing and mashing the throttle. this will allow the accelorator pumps to pour fuel down the carb again without useing it. its gotta go somewere. heat will also expand the fuel in the bowls and with bad needls and seats it will escape into the intake. all in all, you have a leak somewere.

as a follow up to Victor, don't run the engine with an appreciable amount of gas in the oil. It will wash out the rings and in extreme cases can actually ignite in the crankcase and cause an explosion. Get the oil changed and fix the fuel leak problem would be my advice.

In addition.........If you have a mechanical fuel pump and a substantial quantity of fuel in the oil, the fuel pump is the likely cause. A ruptured diaphragm will allow fuel to pass straight into the crankcase.

Nucking futs
    Also if your fuel tanks were full and not venting, it could presurize the fuel tanks and push right by the needle and seat.This happened to me in laughlin last year and i pumped out 5 gallons of gas out of my crankcase.Not a fun job in 115* heat.After you change the oil i would change the oil again soon after to get all of it out.Put some cheap oil in it and run it and then put your regular oil back in it.I put some .89 cent a quaurt shit in there to flush it out, before i put the $2.10 a quart stuff back in.
    Just my pennies worth.............Tim

Greaser
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I will check into it and let you know what I find

Taylorman
    I have the opposite problem of Greaser. I have oil on my spark plugs. When i crank my boat i get a puff of smoke out the exhaust. Could it be leaking rings?

paradigm shift
    Better chance valve seals are leaking as for smoke at start up.. Little blue smoke won't hurt as long as it is not using oil above normal I would not worry about. Do a leak down test if you really want to. Just my .02

Greaser
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I will check into it and let you know what I find
    Well, we looked at the carb yesterday, and found some trsah in the front fuel bowl, and we also rejetted the carb 2 sizes smaller. I bought the carb used from one of our forum members, and he had it jetted for his motor. We will test it out tomorrow after work

Jetting can cause an overly rich running condition but unless extremely overjetted won't cause gas in the oil as a rule. If it were that rich you'd be seeing black smoke out the exhaust also. My point is the jetting is likely not the cause of your gas in the oil in this situation and you need to be aware of not running the engine too lean and causing detonation.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast