Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting in new 502.

jimthetoolman
    I am getting my 502 back from the machine shop and I just wanted to know tips or tricks on breaking this in. Some say 20 minutes at 2000 rpm some say for 5 minutes then drive the shit out of it and not letting it idle. So whats the deal. I don't want to have this rocking my niehbors for 20 minutes at 2000 rpm they will come un-glued. I have a Panther pump so I can get away with running it that long or can I......

Jim, the 20 minutes at 2000rpm (or 15 minutes at 1500) is for camshaft break-in. If you are running a flat tappet cam it is mandatory and should be done with no load on the engine(which rules out doing it out on the water). Roller lifters do not require this procedure.

MudPumper
    I am getting my 502 back from the machine shop and I just wanted to know tips or tricks on breaking this in. Some say 20 minutes at 2000 rpm some say for 5 minutes then drive the shit out of it and not letting it idle. So whats the deal. I don't want to have this rocking my niehbors for 20 minutes at 2000 rpm they will come un-glued. I have a Panther pump so I can get away with running it that long or can I......
    Spend the money and run it on the Dyno, takes care of breaking in the cam and once it is tuned to perfection all you have to do is bolt it in the boat and go. Also the Dyno is the best place to find out if you have a leak somewhere. There is quite a bit of HP to be had just by changing jets and timing. Trying to tune it on the water is a pain in the ass. Spend the money and save yourself a lot of time and trouble. Dyno is a priceless tool in my opinion. :shift:

jimthetoolman
    Does anyone know where I can find a dyno in Elk Grove Ca? and what should I expect to pay? How much time do I get on the dyno is it by the hour?

MudPumper
    Jim, I don't know about Elk Grove but maybe check Sacramento. I paid $500 bucks for the day. Others may cost a bit more.
    Here are some:
    Rex Hutchison Racing Engines
    4526 Auburn Blvd.
    Sacramento, CA 95841
    (916) 483-9563
    SVS RnD
    2250 Tower Avenue
    Sacramento, CA 95825
    (916)489-3072

AZKC
    Jim at Performance Jet rebuilt my Panther and I asked the same thing about running it, he told me only for 1 or 2 minutes @ idle max, there is a dry seal on the shaft that will heat up and get ruined and leak water into the gear lube. If you have the 3 point mount like I have just leave the h-block off the crank adapter, secure it through that little inspection cover on top of the bell housing, turn the motor over by hand and ck for clearance between the motor and h-block. You don't want that thing hitting at 2000+ RPM. Then after the cam breakin hook up the h-block and head to the lake :smile: I'm not aware of what exhaust your running so water to the motor is what ever you normally do.

jimthetoolman
    Thanks for all the info guys..

Aluminum Squirt
    Awhile ago somebody recommended a guy in EG, but I can't remember who, hopefully they see this and post up. Hopefully I'm going to need some dyno time some time soon and I'm in EG too-Aluminum Squirt

jimthetoolman
    oh really I wonder who.. I will check around. in elk grove ca???

Aluminum Squirt
    Yes indeed, EG, CA. I'm not making recommendations but here is some info that a couple of board members passed on to me.
    Hallz recommended Bob @ Spartan Engine developement, 604 Houston St, W Sac, 95691, 916-371-7070. He advised that he was a meticulous, slow and choosy builder that sometimes uses a dyno.
    Dragboats recommended a guy in EG by the name of Ed Bogart. Dragboats said to get a hold of him for contact ino, you can PM him or page him-Aluminum Squirt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast