Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bilge paint question

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    thanks for the ideas. does anyone have any pics? where doi you buy roll in gellcoat?

CandyA$$
    It is the smae as regular gelcoat.
    you just use (aaah shiat can't remember) specific rollers.
    I don't know if they have any out there but you can get it from any auto paint stores. Such as Tir City Paint, Advance color coating, or #1 place for me. Diversified Materials out of LaMesa.
    Check around before you buy, someone may carry it in better brand and pricing.

AZKC
    thanks for the ideas. does anyone have any pics? where doi you buy roll in gellcoat?
    Had pics in the Image Center but we all know what happened there :cry: I may have some at home I'll ck. :idea:

FOURQ
    It's a shame they had such a bad oil leak after gelcoating the bilge that nice white.
    On my old Tahiti, I used epoxy garage floor paint to coat the bilge. Looked good, and flowed out real nice and smooth. Kinda ghetto, but hey.....
    hey ROOST look closer its all Gell no oil there .. i got a hookup on Gell let me know if you need some more pics here along with other pics (http://www.clmracing.com/WutWzat's%20boat.htm) im shure you can tell before and after. all the gell in those pics is sprayed. it can be brushed on aswell not shure id try rolling gell but anything is posible....

hey ROOST look closer its all Gell no oil there
    I know... I felt like doing a little stirring today

Jake W2
    I would use gel very easy to spray or brush on and with gel you can go over it with resin if you need to.I would go with gel for a few reasons it is farley cheap.It is poleyester (LIKE YOUR BOAT) so if you need to do a repair you will not need to sand off some weird ass paint that wont let the resin and glass adhere(sp) to it.you can all so polish it up if it gets dull and will with stand what you leak on it in the bilge.And you can get it to match your colors on the out side of the hull.
    Or if you want go to Home Depot and buy some Glidden house paint and roll it on that would look sweet :hammer2: mabey mix it with sand for a nonslip surface.
    DONT be scared of gel its a no brainer.
    Jake

tahitijet
    I just used some paint I had left over from the boat.. added a coat of clear on top.. Has held up great for just over a year now..http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...010004-med.JPG

cave
    What set up do you guys use to shoot the Gel? Would a gravity feed sprayer work? What is the working time with gel once its been mixed?

Jake W2
    Use a 3.0 tip with gravity feed.Dont mix more than your guns cup or what ever you can shoot in 15 munits.Clean the gun after every or every other app or the gel harden and that will suck.
    I am sure every one has their way of doing it but this way worked for me.I used the gel,styrine,wax sol,hardner method some guys use other methods good luck.
    Jake

cave
    Jake W2, what are the ratios for gel? I have a 1 quart nylon cup. Is nylon OK with gel chemicals? I don't think I can find a 3.0 tip & needle for my Sharpe. Would a 1.5 work? I shoot heavy primer with it.
    This is what I wanted to do after I was smacked by a jet ski without insurance. This would be after summer deal.
    396 if you do yours call me. I really want to do this at the end of the year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast