Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is The Longest Anyone Has Seen A Jet Last?

Hallett19
    I want to hear longest lasting jet vs. shortest lived....just curious

Bubbledeck2
    are you talking motor or pump?
    Mine is a 76 with the original untouched motor. I'm the third owner, so I have no idea how many hours are on it.
    As far as the pump I'd say it would last a long time if you didn't run rocks, sand. pieces of intake grate hehehe , or other crap through it

TaylorLP20
    My neighbor has a 63 Beuhler Turbocraft. Well maintained, never restored. 2nd engine (273 Mopar), 3 pump rebuilds, last in 74. Hours unknown but estimated at over 3K. I'm sure there are older ones with more hours, but not many.
    A true original jetboat!
    http://www.angelfire.com/nj3/turbocraft2/

77charger
    Had one go 7 years before needing a rebuild was in bad shape though many dry starts.I learned after that.Maybe i can put my rebuild to the test on this one now.Oh forbot to mention had a pump rebuilt recently finished on a thurs night deatroyed by sat afternoon.(hit a sand bar with rocks)Now it is all fresh again.
    [This message has been edited by 77charger (edited April 13, 2002).]

teambnr
    77Charger you mentioned "dry starts". I had a 78 nordic bubble. When I had the pump rebuilt (dominator) every time I would dry start it within 30 seconds it would put out a high pitch squeal. It never did it prior to the rebuild. I would just shut it down thinking that it can't be good. Ever since then I've been freak about starting my jet out of water, except to check battery power. My 93 Carrbean (berkley) didn't do that. And my 2001 Carrera (Legend) doesn't make that noise, although I don't dry start it either. What's the deal with dry starts. I would love to sit in the garage in January and fire up the boat in the garage and rev-off some R's at like 12am but as you said I don't need uneccesary repairs either. P.S. the hose deal is to messy a requires pre-meditated thought. what do you think. BNR

Cas
    My Panther has 24 years on it right now. When I took it apart to check things out, all the clearances are well within the factory specs. Who knows how long it'll go before it'll need something done to it. Oh wait, I had to replace the nyliner bushings on the forward/reverse bucket and on the nozzle last year.

Heatseeker
    I have a buddy with a 73 Rogers. It has a 455 Olds and a Berkley JC, all stock, all original and never been rebuilt. He runs it all summer long, every summer(he also owns a houseboat). It just runs and runs, although it seems to burning a little bit of oil lately...

Kwicherbichen
    Well, that squeeling is probably the bearing going out.
    As for starting it dry, well if your doing a reasonable amount of boating during the summer I would not do it if you can avoid it. Hook up the hose if possible.
    During the cold non boating months, disconnect the drive shaft and piss your neighboars off.
    Brian

GBLASER
    I had a panther last for 22 years before I replaced it with a rebuilt one. The motor (460)lasted 23 years. I only hope the new one (HO454 W/legend) lasts anywhere close.

cyclone
    My '71 Rogers had never had the pump rebuilt until last month when I had MPD do it. The pump worked but was pretty wore out. That's 32 years of my dad running it out of the water, sucking up ski ropes and NEVER maintaining it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast