Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting Valves on a 460

Hallett19
    ok, here is the deal, Ben Alameda says the valves arent adjustable. And havakarl, I do hate you, I started getting this problem when I had a small ass pan and would run it out and loose oil psi. Then pan is new 10 quart and 15 50 mobil 1 syn. Ben says, since the motor runs around 120-150 degrees at any givin time, the oil is not getting hot enough, and now you guys are telling me opposite ???? what is a guy to do, I'm being torn in two different directions....AHHHH!!! Now he is saying go solid lifter, meaning, change the cam and rocker arm setup, what the shit!?!? Think I'm made of money ??? so now what ??? Arent I a pain in your guys asses ???

Wet Dream
    Dude, you're the actor making the big $$$. J/K. But I do get a kick out of reading your posts because I learn a whole lot more.

Brendella
    first you would not need solid lifters unless you really bump up the power next what type of exhaust are you running,headers or logs? third there are many ways to get your motor to heat up a little more. for instance a thermastat kit, gate vavles etc.
    butwe need to know the type of exhaust you have because the logs preheat the water for the motor and headers thats a whole different ball game with the plumbing. ben will help you a lot but remember he is pricy and likes to do tricks to make performance happen.

Hallett19
    running logs, and I need to get an oil temp guage to see where that is running. I had a good idea in the car today, since I don't have an oil cooler, cant I just pull the plug for a few seconds until some of the oil pan is submerged in nice cold water !?!? Maybe even throw some of the ice cold water from the cooler in there !?!? I am brilliant !!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

77charger
    Hallet im runnin a bbf and no thermostat at all never have a problem even though motor is runnin cool i use a gate valve to restrict the water coming from the pump.As for going to solid you will need to make periodic adjustments and will neeed more work on your motor to take advantage of it.
    A suggestion might be to install another hydraulic cam kit(new cam and lifters) price should be reasonable 100-175.00 .If you stick with a mild hydrauilic cam you should not need an adjustable valve train.
    I just switched mine to an adjustable and it ran me about 250 i believe,rockers,guide plates hard pushrods and bbc rocker studs.And this is with the dove heads you have the newer ones i assume.
    reason i suggest the whole new kit is because your lifters may be geeting old or worn.

Hallett19
    for the most part, this engine is brand new, all the valve train minus the rocker arms are new, cam, pushrods, lifters, double valve springs, seals, retainers, timing chain and gears, so the parts arent old, and I have a block off valve, its the old valve off my beer bong.... yeah yeah, laugh it up http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif..... but I usually leave it open and that in itself restricts water from what it was before and if I close it right, it stays around 160-180 at speed, but 210 or so at idle, and I don't think that is good, or is it ? the temp difference could possibly warp shit I have been told, but I don't believe it really, figuring most engines run 210 stock, my mustang ran at 205 before I changed the therm to 180, but I know you get a better cylinder burn at higher temp too...am I rambling on ?? Bottom line is, I am thinking of changing to roller rockers, and new lifters, and if that does not solve it then f it .....BBC, here I come http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif yeah right!!

77charger
    losing oil pressure at higher rpms is not normal oil should not be getting hot with that new pan also.I have grenaded a few motors myself bbf and sbc.One thing before they went was losing oil prssure as the revs increased.I'm taking my boat out tomorrow(90%sure)I will try to listen to my valve train at hi rpm and see if it makes any noise too.Sounds like you had the heads rebuilt so that could eliminate some possibilities.

Hallett19
    Well, the reason it is loosing pressure at higher rpm's with an old engine is the fact that the bearings are going bad, they cant keep a tight seal and it bleeds off pressure, that is my understanding. So unless I wiped out the bearings, which are all new, I think my bleeding of oil pressure is due to the lifters. I hope this motor does not go south man, if it does, well, then I need to fix it but I will be really mad!!!

froggystyle
    Sell the boat... buy a Chevy. Tough lesson, but one best learned with a running boat for sale with issues then another attempt at rebuilding this pig.

Hallett19
    Well said....I don't know about the chevy part, but other than that http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif Where you been Wes, I called you lastnight man ??? Saw blade II, kind of cheezy, but awesome fight scenes!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast