Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting Valves on a 460

Buy a Chevy to solve your problems...?? Yeah right!! Do that and your problems have just started. Get someone who knows Fords, don't even mess with these Chebby mechanics, all they know is hammers and monkey wrenches. Thats why the magazines show pictures whenever they do a "How to make XXX HP from your BBC...."

77charger
    Hallet i guess just run it til it drops.If i make it to castaic some time i will check it out i have been playing with fords in my boat for a while now have also done a bbc for my old drag car.honestly both makes are pretty similar it's all on how they are set up to run.

Hallett19
    77,I was thinking about doing that, and if it goes, hopefully it does not break anything major, all the machine work is done, the block is decked and deburred, and I have the manifold and carb I want. I figure if it pops, I will just do the simple rebuild and repair whatever pops, no reason starting to replace lifters, then have it be something else, and do a partial rebuild every week trying to eliminate problems........aint boating grand, just when I thought the headaches would go away.....

77charger
    let me know when your motor goes i can help you with a rebuild on the next one. Just get me a 12 pack when done.

Brendella
    something I learned is on ford is don't buy the highvolume pump. not needed. second it sounds like the pump is the source. even if it was new pull it and check the rotor and gear for tightness, should not bind when it rotates.
    gear and rotor clearance: 0.001-0.004-in.
    now hold the cover over half the pump body and measure the cleanance between the gearand rotor
    now between gear and cover should measure 0.001-0.004-in if cast iron then 0.0025 in. is ok
    if aluminum then 0.0015 in. is ideal use a feeler gauge to measure and this could solve the problem.

77charger
    I'm running a melling hv pump so far so good.From what i have heard that with smaller capacity pans in jet boats is that the pump may suck to much oil and leave none in the pan.I have a 14 qt and front pick up have not had this prob yet.

Hallett19
    yeah, I was having problems with loosing oil at high rpms and I think that is how I F-ed myself with my lifters now. I was loosing so much oil, I would hang valves, now I put a bigger pan it does not do that, just the ticking now, I think I just busted up my lifters, I want to change those real bad. What does mister 460 think, or you 77 charger?

77charger
    you know hallet you brought up a good point.I f you were losing oilpressure with the previous pan you could have put wear on the bearings.since you were sucking dry at hi rpm(not a good thing)and the new pan would solve future problems not past if the damage has occured.

Hallett19
    but wouldnt I know pretty soon that bearings went south ? it would knock or sieze wouldnt it ??

77charger
    might be starting to go.with out hearing it is hard to diagnose but lifters rarely go out oil pressure just fills them up(to keep zero lash).a bad lifter will tick usually all the time.i have only had one lifter go bad on me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast