Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Adjusting Valves on a 460

Hallett19
    what does ticking mean when it is sporadic, when I get all over it for a few seconds, it will start doing it sometimes. Then if it sits, it goes away, or if I just keep it at lower rpm's it will stop, and sometimes it wont do it at all..... weird, and it holds about 50 psi of oil at 3 grand, and about 40 at 4500, it drops a little, but not enough to be unsafe, but not what it should be doing, that is why I think a lifter is shitting out and bleeding of psi, or a bearing is bad and bleeding it off, I DON'T KNOW, YOU ARE THE PRO !! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

77charger
    The lifters wont bleed off 10 pounds of oil pressure it really sounds like bearings to me.(losing pressure at higher rpm)normally the higher the rpm the higher the pressure.give me a call tomorrow 949 795-2719 mobil number.i am pretty busy right now.
    Hopefully i can explain on the phone.

A lifter ticking sporadicly usually means there is air in the oiling system. Sucking the pan dry at high rpm would be the first thing I'd look at. BBFs have a head drain-back problem if the engine is mounted at an angle of about 6-7 deg. or more. The small drain hole at the end of each head isn't big enough to handle the flow by its self. Enlarging the 2 drain holes is a common practice and should be done when the engine is torn down.

mister460
    Replacing the lifters is really no big deal. You can put new lifters on an old cam, just not old lifters on a new cam. Break in as you would a new cam (2000-2500 rpm for 30 min) and you'll be good. The lifetrs might not even be the problem. 40 lbs at 4500 rpm is BAD!!!! You need at least 10 lbs per 1000 rpm. Also, remember that diagnosing engine sounds is an art, not really a skill. A rod knock sounds like a little man inside with a little hammer. Valvetrain noise, well, the best I can describe it is a "clacking" noise at half the speed of engine rpm. If it's a sporadic ticking it could be rods. But that is a pretty distinct sound. BBF's don't usually eat mains. If you can't reach 77 my number is 760-985-1033. I can explain better while talking. Have a good one all!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234