Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: single or twins

jimslade
    28 ft magnum single big block or twin small blocks?
    dont want twin big blocks, gas is $3.75 a gallon in canada now dont need the extra expence

LHC30Victory
    For a 28 foot lake boat, I would stay with a single as long as the boat itself is no too heavy. If it is, or ya do ocean trips, go with the twins.

spectras only
    Twins . Met a guy with a 27 Magnum with single BBC .It was a slug getting out of the hole. I have two 6.2's in a 257 [ 24' boat ] and it's great on fuel and has incredible acceleration .What part of canada you from ? Magnums have 27 degree deadrise if I'm not mistaken and they dig a big hole. Magnuman on the board has one with twin sbc.
    Send him a PM. You've said 28 , what would be a 70's hull and heavy .

ECeptor
    I got to drive a 288 Sunsation last summer with a single HP500 and it was a rocket out of the hole and was very quick getting to it's +70mph top end.
    For me, if I would be trailering the boat very much it would be a single for sure. If fuel cost was an issue, again the single wins for being lighter.
    If I were going offshore or on big water, then twins would win!

jimslade
    It was built in 1988, Don A and Jim W design. It looks like a 24 degree deadrise rear. It was built by a company in Canada for Magnum marine. only 10 or so ever got finished. I bought it 2 years ago still sitting in the finishing mould It needs stringers and the console needs to be glassed in. balsa deck.Im doing lightweight stringers,foam core.Will weight about 3200LBS without engines. paid $3000.00 canadian for it. will be very nice when finished. Bought a 1999 502 mpi for it. not sure if I want to put it in or twins. some riding will be on lake Ontario. Big lake. but mostly on smaller lakes.
    Thanks for input

Boostable
    So what would be a good weight to start thinking about twins? 5k? 6?
    Still doing my research!!!
    Thanks,
    JW

97SunsetterLX
    Twins burn 1.5X the amount of fuel compared to a single
    Twins will last longer than single
    Twins are more maneuverable in docking etc
    Twins are double the maintenance cost and typically harder to work on because of limited access
    Twins give you the security of being able to get home under your own power when you have a breakdown.
    I had twins for 10 years – loved it
    Next V hull boat I get will be a single –based on cost of maintenance, the lighter weight and the availability of pretty impressive power and reliability in a single engine configuration.

LHC30Victory
    Twins burn 1.5X the amount of fuel compared to a single
    NOT TRUE! Since you have two screws in the water, for the same speed you are running EACH motor at a lower RPM than a comparable single. i.e. my 30 runs at 3200 RPM at 52MPH (yes, GPS), where a single would probably be running at about 38-4K. So the fuel used will be less and the motors will not be working as hard as a single = or the drives :boxed:

ECeptor
    NOT TRUE! Since you have two screws in the water, for the same speed you are running EACH motor at a lower RPM than a comparable single. i.e. my 30 runs at 3200 RPM at 52MPH (yes, GPS), where a single would probably be running at about 38-4K. So the fuel used will be less and the motors will not be working as hard as a single = or the drives :boxed:
    All things being equal twins have to burn more because the boat would have to weigh more. Picture two 28'ers with identical hulls, one with twins, one with a single. Even 2 small blocks vs 1 big block the twins would outweigh the single by at least 1000lbs. That extra weight = drag = more fuel. Total power consumed to push the boat forward is substantially higher with twins. Also, don't forget to add the extra drag of the second outdrive.
    You are correct that engines a more efficient by producing the same power at a lower rpm - but that's not a drastic effect. For sure it is minor enough to be over shadowed by the increased drag due to weight and a second outdrive.

FASTERDAMITT
    I guess if your taliking twin and single of same HP, then yes a twin will most likely spin less rpm. However, My single would be several hundred HP more than one of my twins. So the rpm of the single will probably be less than the twins.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast