Thread: prep a boat for paint

brianwhiteboy
    anyone know of books, videos, etc. that details how to prep a boat for paint. I have an 18ft. Southwind that has several different colors of paint and a lot of "checking" from the heat. any recommendations of people in the so. cal area would be appreciated too!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Go to your local paint store and buy a pack (50) of 80 grit sandpaper. Then buy a case of beer and plan a week of long nights. I used a makita sander with 80 grit and I did pretty good. It shouldnt take that long, but if you have stress cracks then you are in for a lot of work like myself. Like i said I used my little 4" makita because it was flat. I tried a orbital sander but I got too many dishes.Good luck and I hope this helps!

superdave013
    I got mine done by Havasu Barney. He fixed a ton of stuff on mine. You should send him some pics of yours and get a quote.

Kwicherbichen
    I'm also having my boat done at Havasu Barney as I type. His prices are much more reasonable than the So. Cal area and he does your boat in gel, not paint.
    Brian

brianwhiteboy
    thanks for the info. I'll give Havasu Barney a call. And 396_WAYS_TO_SPIT, I think I'll just start off with a case of beer for starters then worry about the sanding!