Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the skinny on Cheetah Boats?

Lake Ape
    Yes, this is true but I like to factor others opinions in my decision making process. Weren't we all just commenting on this in a thread about Hot Boat Magazine on how they never say anything really bad about a boat? If a boat is junk and you think so say so damn it! Also since I know hardly anything about boat construction I was hoping to get the input from others. With the above attitude I guess none of us should ever ask a question about anything?
    I'm just trying to spend my money the wisest way possible!
    Thanks to All!

Kilrtoy
    Weren't we all just commenting on this in a thread about Hot Boat Magazine on how they never say anything really bad about a boat? If a boat is junk and you think so say so damn it!!
    GOOD POINT and I always say Hot Boat is chicken shit....
    I would never, ever, consider one, regardless of the price for any reason.
    They are about as low as it gets in my opinion....
    Im gonna get blasted for this one.....

franky
    I am not chicken shit so I will tell you, cheapest import resins, cheapest lay up schedule, dry wall screws, these boats are the bottom of the food chain. But, whatever gets you on the water......
    Ape guy, buy a used higher end boat for the same money. You will be better off all around.
    Come to Havasu, shop the trade ins at the local builders, value is to be had.

Mandelon
    I agree that the magazine is pretty positive on the boats they review, but nearly all the boats they review are good quality....builders aren't gonna send over their worst work.....
    Go and look at it. Pay close attention to how the finish looks when you eyeball down the side of the hull. Look under the seats and rub your hand on the undersides of places you can't see. How is it finished? Is there bare wood under the seats? How thick is the vinyl? The carpet? How good is the stitching? This list will just go on an on...look at everything. Go and look at a higher end boat too and try to find the differences. They will be there. The rigging is neat and tidy? Different colored wires for each gauge and control?
    Read more on the forums, have you searched related topics?
    And finally check for zip ties, I heard that the more zip ties, the better the boat.....
    Man----->more diplomatic<-------delon

franky
    I agree that the magazine is pretty positive on the boats they review, but nearly all the boats they review are good quality....builders aren't gonna send over their worst work.....
    Go and look at it. Pay close attention to how the finish looks when you eyeball down the side of the hull. Look under the seats and rub your hand on the undersides of places you can't see. How is it finished? Is there bare wood under the seats? How thick is the vinyl? The carpet? How good is the stitching? This list will just go on an on...look at everything. Go and look at a higher end boat too and try to find the differences. They will be there. The rigging is neat and tidy? Different colored wires for each gauge and control?
    Read more on the forums, have you searched related topics?
    And finally check for zip ties, I heard that the more zip ties, the better the boat.....
    Man----->more diplomatic<-------delon
    Unless the zip ties are holding the transom to the stringers

Kilrtoy
    Unless the zip ties are holding the transom to the stringers
    OHHHHHHHHHHH F**K :jawdrop:

bordsmnj
    did he say "chopper boats?" chopper boats went out alooooong time ago-thankgod.lol popcorn please!

TCHB
    I think Cheetah boats are a excellent boat for the money.
    The Mercury engine package is the most expensive thing in the boat and it is the exact same as others.
    I think it is all perception and marketing in this case. The owner is a no frills guy that has been building boats for over 30 years. In the early 70s he used to produce over 2,000 boats a year. I still see some of the early boats out on the lake and they have held together. Good Luck

moneypit
    The question to be answered is.... Are they worth the money that they are sold for? The answer can only be found is by people that have either driven them or by someone who has or does own one. NOONE can else can answer that question honestly...
    I have had one. I sold it. I beleive it was worth what I paid for it. I enjoyed the ride very much. The stiletto hull showed some balls in my book.
    There have been many threads about why Cheetahs are alot cheaper. Bob (Chetah Bob) will tell you that his boats are cheaper for the following reasons.
    1. He owns his building
    2. He doesnt advertise in Magazines... Only boat trader.
    3. He doesnt pay sales people salaries or commisions.
    4. He doesnt pay for a booth at boat shows...
    I believed Bob when he told me these things because the reality is that these thing do cost money (alot). I would agree less overhead gives you the ability to sell things for less....
    In saying all of this, would Bob be able to sell his product for the same price as Advantage, Commander, Shockwave, Magic/Sleek, Nordic etc... NO absolutely not. I think Bob is smart to stay out of the Mags, shows etc... I dont think Bobs boat is as good a boat as those.
    Is Bobs boat worth what I paid for it? Yes
    Sorry for any Typo's

Moe_Havi
    Hot boat won't review them because they say that the owner won't provide one for testing but we all know they don't buy advertising from HB so no tests. I bet if HB really wanted to test one, a private owner would provide one for testing. Something smells fishy.
    Moe

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast