Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starter for bbc

i got a mini starter and it will not crank the engine over fast enough unless i hook my battery charger to it. i have the old style bell housing adapter on it. does anyone know what part number starter i need to get for it. i am trying to take it out saturday and do not have the time to order one from somewhere. i need to get it a.s.a.p thanks
    pat(slotracer) :cry:

MikeF
    Pat, Take your battery somewhere to have it load tested. Sounds like that might be the problem.

just bought a new optima blue top from costco. i had a new marine deep cycle battery at first and thought the same thing so i brought it back and got the optima. i pulled out the starter and tried turning it be hand and its real stiff. going to bring it by a starter shop tomorrow to get checked. the engine is a fresh 468bbc with 10.5-1 comp. with 049 heads on it. pat(slotracer)

MikeF
    You're saying you tried 2 different batterys......same result?
    Try charging up the new battery (trickle charge) and try again. Maybe they were both not fully charged?
    The reason the mini is hard to turn is because of the gear reduction. The armature spins 4x faster (approximate) than the older direct type starter.

To add to what has been said.....
    Deep-cycle batteries will work, but aren't intended, for starting use. They are designed for trolling motors, motorhome "house" batteries, thumping stereos, etc. Applications where they get used nearly to exhaustion before recharging. Hence the name "deep-cycle". You want a high quality marine starting battery.
    Unless that's a top quality mini-starter, you might be better off ditching it and buying new. Even my GM Performance Parts connections say to stay away from the GMPP mini and buy a standard one. GM does have a mini gear drive starter for a late model truck application, but I don't know which.
    Hopefully you have checked and eliminated any voltage drop in the B+ and ground circuits from battery to engine/starter. A real common point of trouble comes from bolting a ground cable to a nicely painted engine block.

JetBoatRich
    Just finished working a similiar problem figured it was the starter keeping the engine from starting. Pulled it it smelled burnt, installed a new starter :idea: now It barely turned(better than before)battery had 12 volts seemed ok, took the starter back and tested out good. Came home put the load tester on the battery it was wasted :burningm:
    Battery and starter died

sanger rat
    You guys with the GM mini starter make sure you have the right bolts to go with it. They have a thicker shoulder on them. If you use regular starter bolts the starter will cock sideways and pinch the flywheel. http://www.paceparts.com/index.asp?P...D&ProdID=40661

what about shims how many does it need? i have 3 in there now and the starter gear looks like it hangs up sometimes. could the starter need to be shimed down more?
    pat(slotracer) :crossx:

1BIGJIM
    I just went through this and it is posted in OFFSHORE forums yesterday.
    http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=103340

MikeF
    PAT, Did you figure this one out?! :sleeping:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast