Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiller water psi

BA Kurtis
    How much water psi to supper chiller? I have heard anywere from 7 to 35 lbs. If there is to much psi is there any chance of water leaking and contaminating oil? Thanks for any help.

bigkatboat
    I understand 20 lbs, is max. I go in with one #12 hose, it is force fed, not part of the motor cooling system. I go out with TWO # 10's, one directly hooked up to the cover plate and (overboard) the other on the opposite side of the cover, and inline I use the pressure regulator they offer with the cooler. (then overboard) If the boat goes over 120mph, I use a "T" #12 on the inlet, put the center of the "T" into the cooler. The other side of the "T" goes out to the regulator, then overboard. Both set ups keep the cooler full, and I have not had any 'blow ups', using these on blowers or turbos. No, I never use the motor cooling water to 'intercool', only while it's moving, never when it's idling.

MKEELINE
    Bigkatboat,
    Do you run a strainer with the intercooler?

Robbie Racer
    How much water psi to supper chiller? I have heard anywere from 7 to 35 lbs. If there is to much psi is there any chance of water leaking and contaminating oil? Thanks for any help.
    I called PFM Products a couple years ago and asked them what they recommended for pressure. They told me 20 to 30 psi with 30 being the maximum recomended. I set mine at 20 but it would still spike past 40 when the boat porposed (with through hull supply fitting) until I put a pressure regulator on it. Good luck, RR

Strip Poker 388
    John at PFM[shuperchiller]recomends 2 pound for every pound of boost min. He told me max was 40psi .There are people that are putting the coppernickel core in them also. They are more efecient and will hold more pressure .Just like the Whipples .Dustin said his core is good to 100psi.
    On the Dyno My Whipple It mesurered only 10 degrees diff between the out side and below the innercooler at 9.78lbs of boost.This was a steady state pull and it maintained that temp thru the pull.
    Hope this helps :smile:
    Rob

bigkatboat
    Yes, I run a strainer pickup, or a sea strainer on it. If you saw only a 10 degree (F) difference, throw it away and just bump up the fuel mixture. 10 degrees is not enough of a difference to justify it's use. A cooler should bring 450 (F) down to 375 (F) or more, and drop 10lbs to around 9lbs boost. Just remember, 500 (F) degrees inlet temp = 1/3 of your thermal efficiency. If you can run 1500(F) at WOT, subtract 500/450 (F) and you will see that 1/3 of your power is lost in the heat. The bigger (slower turning) the blower, the less heat the blower transmits to the motor. The cooler the inlet charge, the more dense the air (with proper fuel mix), = less possable chance of detonation.

pixrthis
    Has anybody here burnt up a core? I burned two in Lee intercoolers without much use but the boat was new to me so I don't know the history of the coolers. Lee still makes them out of aluminum and they're kind of pricey. thanks for the info you've already talked about.

I have a ? about an innercooler. I have a superchiller under a 6-71 blower w/ electronic injection, the broblem is one of the fuel rails directly block one of the inlets to the super chiller. Can you you run a superchiller w/one #10 a n inlet and one #10 a n outlet at 20psi?

RACER52
    with my whipple cuppernickel cooler I'm running between 30-50psi at speeds and its been just fine. The cooler looks bulletproof.
    Freakin weighs a ton
    Racer

J540
    Has anybody here burnt up a core? I burned two in Lee intercoolers without much use but the boat was new to me so I don't know the history of the coolers. Lee still makes them out of aluminum and they're kind of pricey. thanks for the info you've already talked about.
    This happens sometimes with whipple blowers and Aluminum cores, If you need new cores let me know. I have replacement cores. I have the same type of cores in the intercoolers I make and sell. Dont know why you burnt yours up, could be a few reasons why, any way I have one of mine on my boat
    with a hi-helix 14-71 blower making 17lb's boost (572ci) and i run the Shit out of at the River and Havasu, going on 4yr's now with no prob except for a lifter going away, 1000+ gal, of fuel last year alone. 300 so far this year. (That doesn't mean i wont through the rods out tomarrow) .
    shuperchiller]recomends 2 pound for every pound of boost min. He told me max was 40psi .
    Dont know why they said that when there 4pg instruction book i have says in BOLD print no more than 32psi on every pg, All I can say is that you better check your O RINGS on each end every year.
    If there is to much psi is there any chance of water leaking and contaminating oil?
    YES, if you have to much water psi and it springs a leak at High rpm,You will contaminate more than your oil .That is the last thing you'll be worying about, Its the motor you just HYDRAULIC and JUNKED up with the rods and oil CONTAMINATING your bilge area . I have seen it happen :cry:.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast