Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 25' sleek- 4400 rpm,45mph--problem?

hack job
    get in contact with "lakes only" !!!!! he will set you straight :wink: and i stand behind the fact that a non marine carb will work fine unless you have the coast guard on the boat with you . i know plenty of people that run non marine carbs on closed engines.

Nucking futs
    i know plenty of people that run non marine carbs on closed engines.
    I do !

hack job
    I do !
    me too! :wink:

CrazyHippy
    me too! :wink:
    I know people that drive w/ out a seatbelt on too, doesn't mean it's safe....
    I'm fairly certain that if your boat burnt, and the insurance compay found out that you had a non marine carb, you would not like what happens. $50 saved now, who knows how much it costs you in the future.
    BJH

BobbyB
    that is with the stock 460 with d3ve heads and a 850 carb with the super cobra jet manifold. are you sure its a "a" impellor and not a "aa" impellor you said it might be a bronze so it is possible that you have a "aa" in there.
    It sounds like that is the way they set the marine 460's up. That is pretty much exactly what I have in my '77 (not sure about the heads yet).
    I have a 20.5' cruiser, and I was running maybe 40. I would get to 3500RPM, and that would be top speed. Giving it more pedal brought it up to 4300RPM, but no increase in speed. It was LAGGING! The OG owner told me that it was all original, so I chalked the problems up to a tired pump (Berk JB-B). Pulled it and took it to MPD, only to find out that it was a AA Dominator imp., and some work had been done to the bowl to get it to fit. He told me it was set up for economy, which made sense (OG owner liked to ski slalom). It is possble you have an AA.

gregr1971
    HOUSTON WE FOUND THE PROBLEM!!! i think,... went to texas perfomance this morning and picked up the comp 270h,lifters,gaskets,etc..., took 1/2 day work off,pulled intake and low and behold there is a fu**ing red shop rag twisted around my camshaft! A local performance outfit installed the rotating assembly and pan.....i installed the cam and top end of the motor,they recomended the cam and carb set up,but i dont remember requesting the cloth dampner in my crankcase........???

DeputyDawg
    HOUSTON WE FOUND THE PROBLEM!!! i think,... went to texas perfomance this morning and picked up the comp 270h,lifters,gaskets,etc..., took 1/2 day work off,pulled intake and low and behold there is a fu**ing red shop rag twisted around my camshaft!
    Holy shit dude, that is just priceless!! When I was a freshman in high school I built my first motor (455 Pontiac) to drop in my 76' Formula four speed, and I was being sooooo careful checking clearences, gapping rings and keeping everything clean and torqued properly that I forgot to install the camshaft retaining plate. Got the motor dropped in and running to break the cam in and everything was good to go. I reran the valves and put the car on the trailer and headed out to the "Street Night" drag races at the local drag strip. When it was my turn to make my first pass I rolled into the waterbox and completed a successful burnout and then rolled up to stage. When the lights came down I hammered it and side stepped the clutch and off I went. Everything was going good until about the time I was going to shift from first to second (6400rpm) and all of the sudden it sounded like a bomb went off! That was an exspensive lesson.

gregr1971
    I think i feel sick! all $3368.19 worth, pulled oil plug to drain the oil,oil and red thread come out! so i put the plug back in ,hooked boat up to the powerstroke and going BACK to the machine shop in the morning , i WILL be there at 8:00 am when the doors open. :frown:

spectras only
    Gregr , make sure you look around their shop to see what kind/colour shop rags they're using :wink: .It's sure a bummer.

Squirtin Thunder
    Gregr , make sure you look around their shop to see what kind/colour shop rags they're using :wink: .It's sure a bummer.
    Yea !!! That would suck if it was your rag. :idea:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast