Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer question/problem...?

HammerDown
    This happened twice so far. Turn on the computer, and let it run for a few moments...(but) before I can click to dial-in the monitor goes black, doesn't respond to anything (mouse movements etc). Even when I try to turn off the computer w/the power button on the tower (nothing). I
    have to turn off the power strip, then I can re-boot and it appears ok.
    Any ideas...before it gets worse?
    PS. 3 year old Dell Dimension 8200

bigd1
    Memory going bad causes this a lot.
    Take the computer to the garage, open it up & put the air hose to the inside of it to clean out all the dust. Then pop the memory loose (it just clips in) and re-seat it. This will fix it a lot of times.
    A bad video card can cause this too.

C-2
    PS. 3 year old Dell Dimension 8200
    They're kinda like Chevy's - when they reach this age, stuff just stops working. Nobody can explain it - jus happens.

HammerDown
    Memory going bad causes this a lot.
    Take the computer to the garage, open it up & put the air hose to the inside of it to clean out all the dust. Then pop the memory loose (it just clips in) and re-seat it. This will fix it a lot of times.
    A bad video card can cause this too.
    Great idea as I can see dust build up on the cooling fan...I was thinking about blowing the dust out of the inside, didn't know this would help (thanks)!

topless
    They're kinda like Chevy's - when they reach this age, stuff just stops working. Nobody can explain it - jus happens.Yes, I know this well. :cry:

Dr. Eagle
    Answer=
    Your Computer is
    DOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!

BrendellaJet
    does it beep when you attempt startup? Check online for your computers beep codes, they will help you diagnose the problem. sounds like it could be a video card failure??

HammerDown
    Dr.Eagle...NOT FUNNY!
    No beeps...I just opened it up, no real dust to speek of but I put some compressed air to it anyway.
    "pop the memory loose and or a bad video card"...first time I opened one of these things, like I know what I'm looking at.
    Heck it's my 1'st computer

Panic Button
    Flat screen or Regular monitior? If it's a regular, it sounds like the fly back transformer, basically monitor is toast. New ones are cheaper tobuy than fix.

sorry dog
    If you don't have a extra monitor to check with, take to friends house to try another monitor.
    BTW - when you try to turn off, a hard shutoff requires you to hold the button for several seconds for many computers.
    ...also I don't particularly like the monitor power cut function that windows comes with enabled. First thing I do is cut that shit off. Older monitors or video cards don't like it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast